Pre-departure post

Prior to departing I have some pre-conceived notions about Italy and Italian culture and what it will be like. What I know about Italian culture is mainly what I have heard and what I have seen in movies. I assume that they are fast paced culture and use their hands a lot. I also assume they wear muted colors more and wearing bright colors can scream tourist. I can imagine that they frequently are exposed to tourists and can get frustrated with tourists who expect them to know their language, especially Americans, expecting them to know English. Although English is a widely used language, going to a different country, you should never expect them to know your language but try to work with them in theirs. I am excited to experience traveling to a new country but I am apprehensive about the logistics of traveling and finding my way around. I am also concerned about how I will communicate with Italians, seeing as though I have no experience with the Italian language. I am also concerned and hyper aware of what I am will be doing and want to make sure I do not offend or insult anyone. I will do the best I can and the best thing for me to remember is to be flexible and go with the flow of things.

Bright colored clothes

Bright colored clothes

Fast paced environment

Fast paced environment

Using hands when talking

Using hands when talking