Week 15 – Farewell Barcelona

Well, the time to leave Barcelona has come and gone (Sorry about my last post being late, again). This week was really stressful and emotional for me. Bank account was going down, finals this week, and having to say good by to all my friends and leaving Barcelona. I didn’t get a chance to explore Barcelona much this week, I really had to focus on my studies to make sure I did well in all of my classes. I was surprised to find that my classes and finals were more intense here than at home (in my opinion at least).

After finals were finished we had a farewell dinner with our whole program and we all ate typical spanish food one last time and talked about our past semester here and how fast it went by. Our program director also made a video for us with all of our excursions and it made me realize how many amazing trips we all took together, and how close we’ve all gotten. Leaving this amazing group of people was one of the hardest and emotional things i’ve ever had to do. We became our own little family.

Another guy in the program actually made his on video of all of us from his point of view in Barcelona and I just wanted to watch it over and over again! I can’t believe its over. I am happy to be home, but I will always cherish my time in Barcelona and the amazing people I met during my time there. I didn’t realize how much my time here had changed me. It opened my eyes to other cultures, made me more patient, more open to taking risks, and asking for help. It’s helped shape me to be a better student, and a better person.

2 thoughts on “Week 15 – Farewell Barcelona

1. Leaving those to whom you’ve become attached is extremely difficult and as you describe “emotional.” You’ve shared extraordinary experiences with one another; you’ve learned to navigate a new place together; you’ve traveled and had new adventures together. These times will always be special to you. Welcome home. Michele

• I’m debating whether to have a traditional English meal, some cheap fast food, or just some ‘crisps’ or ‘chips.’ But it has been a more solemn and slow good bye here. No farewell meals, no grand exits. Just the Brits leave, and the Americans are mostly still left. However, we too must fade away. I leave tomorrow and I fortunately won’t be the last to leave. That is a sad place to be.

Hope your trip went well and you had some fond memories as I did in England. Merry Christmas and all the best.