Week 3- First trip: Barcelona

Another week of classes started and they went well. I’ve gotten used to living in Spain and made Segovia my home. Living with my host family has been going well as well. I’ve gotten used to the food and have found some of my favorite dishes. I had paella a typical Spain dish for the second time. I really like it. I’ve also gotten used to the Spanish tortilla which is not what I expected. It is made of potatoes and eggs. Potatoes are a really common vegetable around here, any vegetable really.

Seafood Paella

Seafood Paella

I’ve really adjusted to the language here as well because even now that I talk to my mom on the phone I start to say words from Spain. Although some words they use here are really strange to me, I enjoy learning the new words.

As week 3 of classes finished up my first trip with some of the girls from the group approached. Thursday night we took the night train to Barcelona. We spent the weekend in Barcelona and that was great. It was nice to visit a city that is filled with so many tourist attractions and to see the wonderful architecture and art by Gaudi. Barcelona has beautiful beaches as well and that was nice to take in the sun. Barcelona is filled with tourists. There are many bus tours available in Barcelona for a good price. A friend and I went on a tour bus and that was the best thing we could have done. We got to see so much of Barcelona which we would not have seen on foot. On Sunday we headed back to Madrid on a plane and that was so much better than a train. Our flight was only an hour and a half compared to the 8 hour train ride. I’m glad I got to see Barcelona, it’s a beautiful city.

Barcelona Bus Tour

Barcelona Bus Tour

La Barcelonata Beach. The Mediterranean Sea!

La Sagrada Familia

La Sagrada Familia

Building by Gaudi- La Pedrera (Casa Mila)

Where the 1992 Olympics were held in Barcelona

Rambla del Mar bridge

Rambla del Mar bridge

Barcelona cathedral

Barcelona cathedral

The girls at the fountain show in Barcelona

I’m excited for week 4 because this week the whole group is going to a Real Madrid soccer game.

3 thoughts on “Week 3- First trip: Barcelona

1. Your pictures are so cool and it looks like you are having so much fun!! I was in Mexico this summer and I still struggle with trying to speak the right language with some people. For example, I have replied to my dad in Spanish instead of Arabic several times! There are also words I learned in Mexico that I keep saying, they’re just stuck with me!
    -Ayat

2. I would love to go to Barcelona!!! Your pictures make it look amazing. I would have some concern about the food thought… I am a pick eater, and I even had some problems in London. But I think barcelona would be way worth it.