Where the Heart is

I have been home for several weeks now, finally settling back in to my home and finally breaking my habit of wanting to speak French to poor, unsuspecting English speakers. The morning of my flight I was both terribly excited and profoundly sad to be leaving France and heading back to Oregon. Adjustment to life back in the States was very different than my adjustment in France, but there have been some similarities along the way.

When I walked through the security check in the Portland Airport, the first thing that I saw was my family waiting for me, and it was impossible to miss this:

Image

My adorable niece Aria waiting for me in PDX

My arrival back home was a whirlwind as I arrived a week and a half before the wedding of my eldest sister. That was just enough time to throw a bachelorette party, a bridal shower, and help finish all the last minute details including hand making all the decorations and arranging all the flowers! It made for very little free time, but it was an amazingly fun and exciting day:

Image

The wedding party! My brother Sam, myself, and my sister Ryanne stood on my sister Stephanie’s side.

Between this and my dreaded return back to work, the first few weeks didn’t allow much time to dwell on the wonderful time I spent in France. Arriving home there was some relief in the fact that I could speak my native language and that I was back around all the people from my life here in Oregon. The adjustment back home was certainly more comfortable than my adjustment in France, but I miss France in a different way than I missed the US. I knew that I would be returning home in a limited amount of time so I was able to enjoy France with minimal home sickness. I am determined to visit France again, but that trip is an unknown and possibly in the distant future and so my sadness for being away from France has lasted longer than my sadness for home. I miss all the amazing people I met in my program and around Angers; they are friends I hope to maintain contact with long term. I, of course, miss all the food! I tried to track down one of my favorite cheeses (Camembert) here in Salem, and I was so disappointed at first taste. It lacked the delicious flavor I was craving and cost almost four times as much.

Some things I truly appreciate about being home are seeing my family and friends and being back in my own culture. There are aspects of French culture I adore and will continue to miss, but there were certainly times abroad I caught myself thinking “well back home…” and so until I find a way to combine these two cultures together, I will have to miss one or the other. Studying abroad affected me in ways that I had not previously considered or thought possible, but it had broadened my person and for that I will always be thankful. I am excited to use my experience in the United States, France, and any other country I may travel to in the future (whenever that may be). My final year in school will be keeping me very busy, and after that I only imagine life to get more and more hectic, but I know I will always be able to reflect back on my summer abroad with joy, fervor, and pride.

Maggie

One thought on “Where the Heart is

1. Maggie,
    I have felt privileged to follow your France journey, to read your observations and reflections, and to learn more about France and the French people from you. Thank you for your thoughtful, wonderful posts. Michele PS Your niece is adorable!