Spain bound in just a few days

Just a few days left in the states and I will be Spain bound. At this point I’m beginning to get a feeling of mixed emotions. From scared to beyond excited to experience such a wonderful opportunity. I don’t think it will all sink in completely until I am on my long 10 hour flight to Spain.

I think my host culture will be kind of like Mexico. I know there will be many differences between the U.S and Spain. Some of the things they do in Spain are quite different than those of the U.S. Something I’ve been learning about are siestas and how there are specific times to take naps in Spain and then the night life begins. Also that they eat their meals at times we may consider to be late.

In regards to the food I’m going in with an open mind. It’s all about trying new things. We will see what I discover. But I’m really excited to try gelato and churros con chocolate! yum!

Gelato

Gelato

Churros con Chocolate

Churros con Chocolate

Although I do speak Spanish fluently I’m a bit nervous to be surrounded and live somewhere where all that is spoken is Spanish. Speaking Spanish will be a plus for me because I will be able to communicate well with others but I’m pretty sure the people in Spain speak a different Spanish than I so we will see just how different their Spanish is to mine.

Getting myself from place to place will all be by foot or public transportation. I’m excited to see the beautiful landscapes Spain has to offer and to see all the beautiful architecture and castles. I will visit Alcazar of Segovia and the Cathedral but I am really excited to be walking through the beautiful Aqueduct of Spain every day. I can only imagine how beautiful it will look in person.

What I will be walking through every day!

Alcazar of Segovia

Alcazar of Segovia

Cathedral in Segovia

Cathedral in Segovia

I can’t wait to live with my host mom  because I know that will make a big difference to my experience. Soon I will be posting my arrival in Spain!

One thought on “Spain bound in just a few days

1. You are beginning this adventure with the right attitude–an open heart and an open mind. The Spanish will be a different dialect, and by living in Segovia you’ll have the fun of being introduced to this new dialect and to new vocabulary. I look forward to reading about the differences and similarities you observe about life in the U.S., in Mexico, and in Spain. Safe travels. Michele