weeks 4 & 5 in mexico!

Sigh…so I fell behind again on my blogging. This no internet whenever I want it is really hard. I’m a child of the technology generation, what can I say? =) So I’ll have to combine weeks 4 and 5 in this post. Can’t believe it’s already midway through week 6!!!!!

pinata time!!

Week 4 was great. I honestly have a hard time remembering everything that I’ve been doing =p One of the biggest highlights of week for was that we made, and broke, a pinata! Like a legit pinata, and apparently they are actually no paper mache; they are made with a big clay pot with paper around it! Who knew, right??? One of the ladies on the trip had her birthday, and so we got a chance to get together, eat jello (apparently that’s the ‘cake’), and get candy. The woman whose bday it was broke the pinata and we just watched, but it was fun. She broke the stick TWICE before we finally decided to throw it off the roof. haha yea, good times.

My girlfriends and I also got a chance to go to this super awesome restaurant for the first time. It’s called “Biznaga” and it’s probably one of the chillest places I’ve ever been. There is writing all over the walls, there is artwork, it’s very “Oregon” if you know what I mean =p The food was great and cheap! We have planned to make that place a regular stop until we go home.

the artwork and drawings were everywhere!

i got amazing crepes for food. yum!!!!

i got amazing crepes for food. yum!!!!

we had to leave our mark too =p

we had to leave our mark too =p

Week 4 was great, nothing bad happened, and that’s always a good thing =)

Week 5 also brought some really fun opportunities for me. First of all, it’s the halfway mark in the program. Part of me is soooooo happy that I’m over it, and part isn’t ready for it to be going so fast. Week 5 was a super fast week too! On Wednesday, May 1, it was Labor Day here. Nothing government ruled was open. No classes =D And then on Friday, our whole group left to visit Mexico City for the weekend! Yea, super fast week. So many great things happened.

A few weeks ago I, along with a friend, met 2 Mexican girls while they were working at a bar. We exchanged numbers and stuff, but finally this week we had a chance to hang out in real life. We went out on Tuesday because there were no classes on the following Wednesday. It was a lot of fun. We ended up going to one of the girl’s house and we sat on the roof and just looked over at the city in the dark. The lights were gorgeous! It was such a fun night. We have standing plans to hang out again soon =) I’m really happy I’ve been able to finally meet a local person. It makes me feel like this is worth it =p O, by the way, we spoke in Spanglish the whole time. She talked a lot in English, and I tried to answer in Spanish. It’s good practice!

the city at night <3

the city at night <3

me, a girl from my group, and the 2 girls =D

The rest of the week just flew by, I’m sure you can imagine! We left from Queretaro at 8 am on Friday to head to Mexico City =D  It’s about 3 hours to the city. I could honestly write a book about what I saw in the city and all of that. But no time! So I’ll just give the highlights =)

We saw the pyramids. And climbed them =p

i dominated the pyramid del sol!

i dominated the pyramid del sol!

there were a tin of vendors trying to sell things, and i was able to buy some gifts =) for cheap if you know how to bargain!

one of the oldest cathedrals in the country

we saw one of the oldest churches in the country

templo mayor...ruins in the middle of the city

templo mayor…ruins in the middle of the city

we saw the ancient ruins of the old city. they are literally right in the middle of the modern city!

the canal tour

the canal tour

we went on a canal tour! it’s just like a tour in venice, except we were in mexico! =p

the national house

the national house

we visited the equivalent of the white house. the first day that we went it was under lockdown because obama was there. we just came back the next day.

the castle of maximilian

the castle of maximilian

we saw the castle where maximilian lived. it was so beautiful and amazing.!

the castle

the castle

the anthropology museum

the anthropology museum

and last we went to the anthropology museum. it would take you at least a week to see everything that it had. but we only had a few hours.

I can’t believe that week 5 is over, and week 6 is well under way! So many things are changing me here. I’m seeing so many things, and I’m learning so much. I’ve hit a brick wall in my classes with a certain topic. I just can’t understand it. I’m studying hard and trying to get it all down. In general the classes are going well. I’m just extremely tired all the time. Somehow the Spanish is sinking in though, so I guess that’s good. =p

I can’t wait to be back home sometimes. Everything is going great. But it’s been awhile. And I miss people. A month from today I fly back out. It is so crazy to thnk of it like that though!!!!!

One thought on “weeks 4 & 5 in mexico!

1. You have been busy! Isn’t it interesting to discover your relationship to things like technology when it’s not readily accessible? I’m so glad you met some locals and used your Spanish effectively while you hung out with them. I hope you have more opportunities to spend time with your new friends. Michele