How the Post Office Works

This video is actually a really well done explanation of what happens to your mail when it goes out for processing. It runs through the whole process a letter goes through, and indicates how long it can take to push it through the system.

A couple little known facts, Oregon closed four of the six sorting facilities (large, automated warehouses like the ones shown in the video) in 2012; the two remaining are in Portland, and Medford. The volume of mail has increased every year, even though amount of assistance available has decreased. The Postal System has taken advantage of several impressive technical processes that have enabled such advances as address correction and automated forwarding. Rather than unnecessarily boring you, however, you can find information on this technology by accessing the Post Office’s website here: Catalysts of Change. I find this fascinating… but I’m weird that way! AB

About Amanda Bales 39 Articles
Mail Services Supervisor, former student worker. I have a BS in Psychology/Communications and a MS in Counseling. And I work in Mail.