VETERANS SUCCESS CENTER
The Veterans Success Center is located downstairs in the Werner University Center in Room 108. The Veteran Success Center is broken into two sections the first is the Lounge area. This area offers a comfortable lounge space complete with couches, tv, Keurig, mini fridge, and microwave. This area is most commonly used for socials. The other area is our academic space where you will find computers, CAC card readers, printer, whiteboard, tables and chairs, and is often a much quieter area.
For the most part the VSC is where you will find access to events, workshops, mentors, and tutors, job placement assistance, disability claims assistance, as well as opportunities to get connected with student-veterans peers through our Student Veteran's of America chapter.
Visit the Center, call 503-838-9246, or Email Holberta@wou.edu
The Veteran Success Center exists to increase graduation rates of Veteran students in post secondary education through the coordination of services to address their academic, financial, physical, personal, and social needs. Our goal is to provide a safe and private place that is set aside for people of similar backgrounds as yourself. We hope to provide a culture that allows you to be comfortable being yourself, and to find support by veteran-to-veteran interaction. The Veteran Success Center is designed to help you be successful both on campus and off in helping you develop professionally through an academic setting.
Application Fee Waived
Western Oregon recognizes the members of the U.S. Armed Forces and Honorably discharged Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces by exempting them from paying the $60 admissions application fee. Provide a copy of your DD-214, or, for current military members, a copy of your most recent military orders, Enlisted Records Brief (ERB), or Officer Records Brief (ORB).
Once you have completed the online application for admissions form please select the “defer your application fee” box. When the supporting documents have been received the application fee will be waived and your application will be processed. You can fax the required forms listed above to 503-838-8067, scan and e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org, or reach out to our Veterans Services Coordinator Holberta@wou.edu
Western Oregon University is committed to supporting veterans as they pursue their education and employment goals by means of the "8 Keys" initiative through the Departments of Education, Veterans Affairs, and Defense.
- Create a culture of trust and connectedness across the campus community to promote well-being and success for veterans.
- Ensure consistent and sustained support from campus leadership.
- Implement an early alert system to ensure all veterans receive academic, career, and financial advice before challenges become overwhelming.
- Coordinate and centralize campus efforts for all veterans, together with the creation of a designated space for them (even if limited in size).
- Collaborate with local communities and organizations, including government agencies, to align and coordinate various services for veterans.
- Utilize a uniform set of data tools to collect and track information on veterans, including demographics, retention, and degree completion.
- Provide comprehensive professional development for faculty and staff on issues and challenges unique to veterans.
- Develop systems that ensure sustainability of effective practices for veterans.