Desktop videoconferencing lets you interact with people from your computer or device. It is very common thanks to the ubiquity of applications such as Skype and iChat. It can be used at no financial cost but quality can vary.
For situations where quality is a key factor — for example, when making a media appearance — contact Digital Media Productions at 503-838-8975 about using the studio facilities in ITC 005. We have the equipment appropriate for such needs.
Meanwhile, the attributes below apply to standard, personal videoconferencing from your own computer.
- Free basic software and connectivity over the Internet.
- Compatible with multiple platforms.
- Relatively simple to use.
- Lack of preparation can result in poor call/video/audio quality.
- Considerably high connection speed required by both parties for quality video connection.
- Client must be installed on both ends and both users must be subscribed to the service.
Equiptment / Available Connection
- Classroom Support laptops have built-in webcams, and Skype installed.
- Your own devices may work as well. USB webcams are available for checkout.
- Telecommunications 503-838-8010 or University Computing Help Desk 503-838-8925