Skip to main content
Switch to text-only version
Get accessibility information and assistance

Deployment and Unexpected Withdrawal


What if I get deployed or am already deployed and need to withdraw from courses unexpectedly?


What if I cannot attend classes due to an illness or unexpected situation?


The Oregon University System refund policy generally provides for full refund of dropped or withdrawn courses resulting from being called to active duty in military service. No refund is available for course work in which a student has received academic credit, or from courses not dropped/withdrawn. For a full refund, the student must make a written request to the Registrar's Office. Documentation of military orders is required.


A student voluntarily enlisting in military service must drop/withdraw according to existing academic policy, procedures, and deadlines.


If you are involuntarily activated or deployed, cannot attend classes because of something unexpected (such as a death in the family or personal illness) please bring proof (doctor's letter, hospital records, etc.) to the Registrar's Office (Administration Building room 106) to discuss options for dropping/withdrawing you from your courses.


Please keep in mind that if you're receiving G.I. Bill benefits or educational benefits from the VA that you are also responsible for ensuring that they are aware of your situation as well. If you are receiving benefits under the Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) you will also need to speak to your caseworker to ensure proper protocol in withdrawing from courses.


If you have any questions please stop by the Registrar's Office in the Administration Building room 106 or contact us at (503) 838-8183 or


Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs 503-838-8221 | or e-mail: