As a financial aid recipient, a student is expected to maintain satisfactory academic progress and complete degree requirements or educational objectives in a timely manner according to institutional and office policies. Students must meet Western Oregon University’s academic requirements outlined in the WOU catalog and comply with WOU’s financial aid academic requirements as outlined below. The Financial Aid Office monitors financial aid recipients’ academic progress at the end of every term and on an annual basis. The annual review is performed each June after the end of spring term. Summer session is monitored separately.
Letter grades of F, W, NC, I, X and AU do not apply toward the satisfactory completion of the credit hour minimums. Students may not use credits by exam (credits earned by challenging an individual course) or College Level Equivalency Test (CLEP) credits to meet the minimum credit requirements. A class taken to improve a grade may be included in minimum credit requirements if maximum credit hour limits are not exceeded.
Lack of satisfactory academic progress could consist of the following:
Insufficient credit hours earned
|Under-graduate||Post Bac/2nd Undergrad||Graduate/ Masters|
|Full time||12 cr.||12 cr.||9 cr.|
|½ time||5 or fewer||NA||NA|
Excessive credit hours attempted Maximum credit limits. Your financial aid will be placed on hold and you will be required to petition for the reinstatement of financial aid if your cumulative number of attempted credit hours (including any transfer credits) exceed the following:
If you are academically suspended from WOU, your aid will be placed on hold and you will be required to petition for reinstatement of financial aid. You must first petition for readmittance to WOU. Your petition for readmission must be approved prior to petitioning for reinstatement of financial aid. Petitions for readmission are available from the Registrar’s Office.
Failure to meet previous petition/appeal requirements
Read petition results carefully. If you are directed to meet certain criteria to continue receiving financial aid, you must comply with those conditions. If you do not comply with the conditions, your financial aid will be suspended and you will be required to petition for reinstatement of aid. Previous petition requirements will be monitored each term of the requirement.
Juniors or seniors with a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0
Your financial aid may be placed on hold at the end of each term and you may be required to petition for the reinstatement of financial aid if you are a junior or senior and your cumulative GPA is less than 2.0.
Financial aid petition forms are available at the Financial Aid Office or on the financial aid Web page.
You have the right to appeal your petition determination. Appeal forms are available from and must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office.
Withdrawing from school
To withdraw from WOU, students must complete the required paperwork, available from the Registrar’s Office and obtain the required signatures (ask about making links easy to use). If a student is eligible to receive a refund and is a financial aid recipient, some or all of that money will be returned directly to the aid programs. By withdrawing from school, a student may be required to repay a portion of the financial aid disbursement. Students who withdraw from all classes prior to completing more than 60 percent of an enrollment term will have their eligibility for aid recalculated based on the percent of the term completed. For example, a student who withdraws completing only 30% of the term will have earned only 30 percent of any Title IV aid received (other than Federal Work-Study). The student and/or the school must return (repay) the remaining 70 percent of the funds received. Contact the Financial Aid Office for complete withdrawal details. Unearned financial aid funds will be returned in the following order depending on the type of financial aid the student received during the term of withdrawal:
If a student withdraws, the student must petition the Financial Aid Office to be considered for financial aid in subsequent terms. The student must have attended classes to be eligible to receive federal financial aid. Non-attendance means a total repayment of all federal aid received for that term. Please refer to Return of Title IV Aid policies in WOU’s schedule of classes.
Students are also required to attend loan exit counseling if they received federal loans while attending WOU. Exit interviews are available at the end of the term, by appointment or online at the Financial Aid Office home page.
Financial Aid Office