Skip to main content
Switch to text-only version
Get accessibility information and assistance

Community Resources

Food | Shelter | Clothing | Medical Care | Utilities Assistance Programs
Domestic Abuse Support | Mental Health | Employment | Disability Services ~ Textbooks ~Legal Help


Dial 211- toll-free

This number connects callers with local community services such as food, shelter, counseling, employment assistance, elder care legal help, and more. Available Monday through Friday 8am -6pm.

It can be tough to get the help your family needs. Try this web site to find out if you, or your family, can get help from 28 different services.

Oregon Helps does not ask who you are, and they do not share your information with anyone.





Food Stamp Benefits WIC (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)

Food stamps help low-income households eat well by providing extra dollars to buy food. In Oregon, people may get monthly benefits to buy food with an Oregon Trail card. The Oregon Trail card works like a bank debit card in the machines at your grocery store checkout.

Am I Eligible?

You can see if you meet eligibility requirements at:

You may also call 1-800-723-3638 (SafeNet) to determine eligibility


Food stamps are available to all low-income households and you may be able to get food stamps if your income does not exceed:

Household size Monthly income
       1       $1,574
       2       $2,111
       3       $2,647
       4       $3,184


You may be able to get food stamps even if you..

*Are a student

*Work full or part time

*Own your own home - no lien will be placed on it

Can I get food stamps if I am a student?

If you receive Federal Work Study as part of your financial aid package and work at least one hour per month at a work study eligible ob, you may qualify. If you do not receive  Federal Work Study, you need to work at least 20 hours per week.


If I am an immigrant, can I apply for food stamps?

You can apply for food stamp benefits for your children or other household members who meet citizenship requirements, even if you yourself do not. You do not have to give immigrant status information for household members who are not seeking benefits. Food stamp offices will not contact INS with information from your benefit application.


How do I apply?

You may get an application at a local Department of Human Services office or download an application and instructions at html. You may call 1-800-723-3638 for the location of a food stamp office. 


What will you need when you apply?

- Photo identification

- Social security numbers for everyone whom you are applying for

- Proof of your rent and utility costs (bills or receipts)

- Proof of your income (check stubs)

- Proof of lawful immigration status for household members if they are non-citizens


Women, Infants and Children


WIC is for women who are low-income and nutritionally at risk.  It is a program for pregnant women (through pregnancy and up to 6 weeks after birth or pregnancy ends), Breastfeeding women (up to infants 1st birthday), Non-breastfeeding women (up to 6 months after the birth or after pregnancy ends) and infants up to their 1st birthday and children to their 5th birthday. 

WIC serves 45% of all infants born in the United States.Fods such as Infant Formula, frozen juice, milk, eggs, cereal, peanut butter, tuna and cheese are all eligible food items within WIC categories.

Income guidelines apply.

Household Annual Income Monthly Income Weekly Income



Contact the office of your resident county with questions or for additional information.


Lane County Health Department 1900 W. 7th Ave Eugene, OR 97402 541-682-4202

Marion County Health Department 3180 Center St. NE Salem, OR 97301 503-588-5057

Salud Medical Center 3896 Beverly Ave. NE Ste. J-22 Salem, OR 97305 503-391-7872

Polk County Health Department 182 SW Academy # 302 Dallas, OR 97338 503-623-8175


Mid Valley Food Assistance Program

Each member contributes the following membership fees monthly $34 for the first family member and $2 for each additional family member. There is an annual $5 application fee.


Marion-Polk Food Share

There are over 80 pantries and meal sites that make up the Marion-Polk Food Share network. They are open a variety of times throughout the week and you can choose the most convenient time and place for you.  Most food banks try to help the people within their own communities first and may set up geographic service areas, for example, by zip code or neighborhood boundaries. So, if you live in the Monmouth/Independence area, you would preferably go to the Ella Curran food bank in Independence

Who is eligible to receive food assistance?


*Anyone who is in need of help with getting food is eligible for a food box. When you visit a food pantry, you will be asked to give your name,address and the number of people in your household so they know how much food to provide you with.


*Self-declaring income is sufficient to receive emergency food – you are not required to provide proof of income. Anyone who is without food qualifies for emergency food. USDA prohibits service providers to collect social security numbers


*Clients must reside in Oregon at the time of applying for food assistance, or indicate they are homeless. First-time applicants will then be directed to a pantry in their area for future assistance.

Food Bank Directory

Click here for a detailed list of local food banks

Polk County


Dallas Emergency Food Corp

322 Main St. Ste 180



Mon/Tue/ Wed/Thur 9-noon

Ella Curran Food Bank

840 N. Main St.



Mon/Tue/Thur 9-11:45


Dallas Seventh Day Adventist Community

589 SW Burcg St,



Wednesday 10-1

11 am free bread


Helping Hands Food Bank

959 W. Church St., Monmouth.

4 to 6 p.m. on Mondays and 10 a.m. to noon on Wednesdays.


Marion County

North/Northeast (Salem/Keizer)

The Good Samaritan Food Pantry     

4570 Center St. NE            

Thursday 4:30 - 6:30pm   


 Jason Lee United Methodist   

820 Jefferson St. NE    


Mon/Tue/Wed/Fri 9 - 11:30 am



Keizer Community Food Bank at John Knox

452 Cummings Lane N. Keizer


Monday 6 - 7:30 pm

Thursday 9:30 - 11:30


Salem Evangelical Church

455 Locust St


Last two Thursdays 11 - noon


Pauline Memorial AME Zion

3593 Sunnyview Rd. NE


Tuesday 10:30 - 1:30


Peoples Church

4500 Lancaster Dr. NE


First Saturday 2-3 pm Second, Third and Fifth Monday 9:00 - 11:00 am


St. Vincent de Paul Society

3745 Portland Rd. NE


Mon/Tue/WedFri 10-2

Thursday 11-2


Seventh Day Adventist Center

1860 Summer St. NE


Mon/Tue 10-noon

Closed July


Spanish Seventh Day Adventist

4525 Cordon Rd. NE


Wednesday 6:30 - 8:30


The Salvation Army

1977 Front St. NE


Monday 1:00 - 2:30

Christian Center of Salem

1850 45th Ave NE


Second Tuesday 9-11am         

Salem Harvest

Click here to visit website

If you like fruit in season, fresh air, exercise and living a sustainable lifestyle, you’ll like being part of this all-volunteer group. Volunteer harvesters take home half of what they pick and the other half goes to Marion-Polk Food Share and its affiliated charities to help feed the hungry in our community.

return to top


Subsidized Apartments

HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants. To apply, contact or visit the management office of each apartment building that interests you.  You can also get additional information online at


Federal Housing Assistance

West Valley Housing Authority has been serving Polk County affordable housing and community development since 1966. They can help with Low Rent Public Housing, Housing Choice Voucher Program and Lease-To-Own Program (in partnership with Polk Community Development Corporation). 


West Valley Housing Authority

204 SW Walnut Ave

PO Box 467

Dallas, Oregon


Housing Stabilization Program

Provides case management and financial assistance to homeless families and those families at risk of becoming homeless. Must have children in the home under the age of 18.  503-399-9080.


Farmworker Development Corperation

Farmworker Housing Development Corporation is a community-based non-profit organization dedicated to serving mid-Willamette Valley farmworkers and their families. FHDC was established in 1990 when Oregon Legal Services, Salud Medical Center,  PCUN (Northwest Treeplanters and Farmworkers United), Farmworker Ministries, and a number of individuals joined forces to establish a single agency for the development of affordable housing for low-income farmworkers. 



The Tenant

Rental assistance program in Polk County which provides rental assistance to very low income families for a twelve-month period.

return to top



Help and Hope to Others (H2O)

Help and Hope to Others provide emergency food boxes, emergency clothing, and bags of food. Furniture and appliances are also available for purchase at the retail store. They ship food to other organizations and needy families on Wednesday and Saturday, 3:00pm-5:00pm. The information required to complete the application is a Social Security number and proof of residence.

(503) 831-4736
Address: 451 SE Maple, Dallas, OR 97338
Service Hours: M-Sa 9:00am - 5:00pm


Union Gospel Mission - Thrift Store

(503) 375-2511
Address: 885 Commercial St. N.E., Salem, OR 97301
Fax: (503) 763-0121
Service Hours: M-Sat. 9:30am-5:30pm
Office Hours: M-Sat. 9:30am-5:30pm
Description: The Union Gospel Mission's Thrift Store provides affordable clothes, furniture, and other household items for low

income families


return to top

Medical Care

Polk County Health Care Safety Net Clinics

Health Care Safety Net Clinics are community-based providers who offer health services to low-income people, including insurance. Most safety net patients are OHP enrollees, the uninsured, and other vulnerable Oregonians who pay a sliding fee for primary care services. Primary care services include, but are not limited to:

  • Urgent care
  • Acute and Chronic disease treatment
  • Services based on local community need (mental health, dental, and vision)
  • Preventive care
  • Well Childcare
  • Enabling services (translation/interpretation, case management, transportation, and outreach)

    Free eye exams- click on link for more information


    Federally Qualified Health Centers:


    Total Health Clinic
    180 N. Atwater Monmouth, Oregon 97361
    Phone 503-606-3288


    Northwest Human Services
    West Salem Medical Clinic
    1233 Edgewater Street NW
    Salem, Oregon 97304
    Phone 503-378-7526


    West Salem Dental Clinic
    190 Kingwood Ave NW
    Salem, Oregon 97304
    Phone 503-315-0712



    Indian/Tribal Clinic

Confederated Tribe of Grand Ronde
9615 Grand Ronde
Grand Ronde, Oregon 97347
Phone 503-879-5211

Community Outreach Clinic

Family Health Insurance Assistance Program (FHIAP)

The Family Health Insurance Assistance Program, or FHIAP, helps thousands of Oregon families pay the monthly premium for high-quality, private health insurance plans.


Community Outreach Clinic

Community Outreach Clinic, located in Silverton, is staffed by volunteer physicians, nurses and others. This clinic provides primary health care, physician referral and resource counseling for residents of Silverton, Scotts Mills and Mt. Angel who have no insurance.


Salem Free Medical Clinic

Click here for website


Polk County Health Department

(503) 623-8175
Address: 182 SW Academy St., Suite 302, Dallas, OR 97338Fax: (503) 831-3499
Fees: Fees vary
Description: The Polk County Health Department offers STD and HIV testing and counseling. They also provide

the WIC program,family planning, and birth control.



Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic


Originally established as a provider of health care for migrant and seasonal farm workers, the Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic is a non-profit organization incorporated in 1978. Today the Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic has locations throughout Washington and Oregon, impacting the lives of thousands of adults and children each year. Services are provided without regard to an individual's ability to pay. A sliding-fee scale is available for those without health insurance. The list of services includes medical and dental care, behavioral health care and counseling, pharmacy services, treatment for substance abuse, community health services and nutritional services. There are also educational and employment training programs.

return to top

Utilities Assistance Programs

Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)

The LIEAP Program is intended to provide low income Oregonians assistance with their home   energy expenses.  Services covered by the Oregon LIEAP program include bill payment  assistance, energy education, case management and home weatherization.Households wishing to receive assistance must be at or below the income guidelines below

Household size Annual Income Monthly Income

1 $20,228 $1,685

2 $26,451 $2,204

3 $32,675 $2,7224 $38,899 $3,241

Individuals wishing to apply for LIEAP should contact their local provider listed below.


County Energy Assistance Phone

Lane Lane County Human services Commission 541-682-3378


Marion Mid-Willamette Valley Community Action Agency 503-588-9016 X300, 503-588-6928


Polk Mid-Willamette Valley Community Action Agency 503-585-8491

Oregon Telephone Assistance Program

Oregonians who qualify for food stamps, certain state medical programs or Medicaid may receive a $13.50 reduction in their monthly bill for local residential telephone service. Applications are available online at or call 503-378-8819 for additional information.

return to top

Domestic Abuse Support

Sable House

Website:Sable House


Mission: to eliminate domestic and sexual violence in Polk County by providing safe, confidential services to victims, and by providing community outreach and education.


Woman's Crisis Service

Website: Woman's Crisis Service

24 Hour Hotline



The Mid-Valley Women's Crisis Service offers a safe refuge and support to women and children who survive domestic and sexual violence.Our programs and services inform survivors of their options and support them in their choices. A cornerstone of our philosophy is respect for the survivor's rights including the right to decide whether to report to the police the crime or crimes committed against her. We work with survivors of any race, color, creed, religious belief, or sexual orientation.


return to top


Oregon Employment Department

Job search page web


Bridges to Employment



Polk County Job & Career Center



DePaul Industries

(800) 755-5880, (503) 856-9563
Address: 4660 Portland Rd. N.E., Ste. 108, Salem, OR 97305
Fax: (503) 856-9848
TTY: (503) 856-9563
Bus Route Info: #3
Service Hours: M-F 8:00am-5:00pm
Office Hours: M-F 8:00am-5:00pm
Fees: Free
Clients: General public
Description: DePaul Industries provides vocational training and employment .services. They also work with people with disabilities.

Please call for information about the services they provide.


Job Corps

(888) 505-9121, (503) 589-4066
Address: 3865 Wolverine S, Bldg. E, Ste.6, Salem, OR 97305
Fax: (503) 589-4068
Service Hours: 24hrs/7days
Office Hours: M-F 8:00am-5:00pm
Fees: Free
Clients: Youth, ages 16-24 (age is waved for a documented disability)
Description: Job Corps offers vocational training to youth ages 16-24 who meet eligibility standards (contact your local office for information concerning those standards). This agency provides a campus setting for those enrolled. The campus offers residential and nonresidential dormitories for living, a recreation center, an education center providing vocational and academic classes, a cafeteria, and medical staff that are readily available on the campus. This program pays you a stipend while you learn a trade. Call for more specific information concerning this opportunity to make a difference in your life.


Oregon Employment Department - Dallas

(503) 831-1950
Address: 580 Main St., Ste. B, Dallas, OR 97338
Fax: (503) 831-1952
Service Hours: M-F 8:00am-5:00pm
Office Hours: M-F 8:00am-5:00pm
Fees: Free
Clients: General public
Alternate Languages: Inquire
Description: The Oregon Employment Department provides job placement assistance to all Oregon job seekers and recruiting services for business as well as priority services for veterans, labor market information, and information about and promotion of quality child care. It also provides unemployment insurance assistance to those who qualify.

Polk Job and Career Center

(503) 831-1950
Address: 580 Main St., Ste. B, Dallas, OR 97338
Service Hours: M-F 8:00am-5:00pm
Office Hours: M-F 8:00am-5:00pm
Fees: Free
Clients: General public
Description: The Polk Job and Career Center assists community members in job search by providing professional assistance with resumes,cover letters, and applications. They offer job search and placement assistance, including career guidance and job referrals, as well as information on filing Unemployment Insurance claims, JOBS Plus, and Tax Credit programs. Information training vendors, as well as educational, vocational rehabilitation, childcare, and transportation providers are available. PJ&CC offers an assessment of skills, aptitudes, and abilities; and referrals to supportive services. Computers, fax machines, typewriters, and copiers are offered for job search assistance, and services to businesses include retention, training, and employee screening.

return to top


The Arc of Polk County
(503) 949-5552
Address: 240 SW Washington St., Dallas, OR 97338
Fees:Only for select community events
Clients: Oregon residents with developmental disabilities
Alternate Languages: Available upon request
Description: The Arc of Polk County is a nonprofit organization (501c.3) of members who work together to improve the quality of life for people with developmental disabilities. The Arc provides guidance, referrals, and assistance to individuals in need. They contribute to public awareness and education on the needs, rights, and abilities of people with developmental disabilities; and on prevention. The Arc is also active in local,state and national legislation for the rights and protection of residents with developmental disabilities. Mission Statement: The Arc advocates enhancing the dignity, expanding the opportunities, and protecting the rights of persons with mental retardation and related developmental disabilities and their families.


DHS - Seniors and People with Disabilities

(503) 831-0581
Address: 260 NE Kings Valley Hwy., Dallas, OR 97338
Fax: (503) 623-5178
TTY: (503) 623-5219
Service Hours: M-F 8:00am-5:00pm
Office Hours: M-F 8:00am-5:00pm
Fees: Free
Clients: Low-income people with disabilities
Alternate Languages: Spanish
Description: Seniors and People with Disabilities provide medical assistance (Medicaid and OHP) and food stamps for elderly and/or disabled persons who have limited income and resources. They provide services for persons needing long-term care such as in-home care, adult foster care, home assisted living, a residential care facility, and nursing home care, as well as investigates elder abuse and provides protective services for the elderly and people with disabilities. This agency also provides assistance with support groups, supervision, information and referral.



Northwest Human Services

(503) 378-7526
Address: 1233 Edgewater St. NW, Salem, Or 97304
Fax: (503) 588-5803
TTY: (503) 588-5845
Service Hours: M-Sat. 8:30am-5:30pm
Fees: Sliding scale; Accepts Victims of Crimes Alliance (VOCA) sponsored
Clients: Deaf and hearing impaired
Alternate Languages: American Sign
Description: The Connection Program provides case management and advocacy for deaf persons. They provide a TTY emergency hotline at (503) 588-5833, and an after hours/emergencies number at (503) 581-5535



Northwest Human Services - Homeless Outreach and Advocacy Project (HOAP)

(503) 588-5827
Address: 694 Church St. NE, Salem, OR 97301
Service Hours: 24hrs /7days
Office Hours: M-F 8:30am-4:00pm; Th 9:30-4:00pm
Fees: Free
Clients: General public
Description: The Homeless Outreach and Advocacy Project provide services to people who are mentally ill and homeless. Services include outreach, clothing, food, housing, medical care, showers, laundry, advocacy, and case management.

HOAP also has a drop-in center available.



Shangri-La Corporation

(503) 581-1732
Address: 4080 Reed Rd. SE, Ste.150, Salem, OR 97302-1100
Fax: (503) 581-5638
Bus Route Info. #7
Service Hours: 24hrs/7days
Office Hours: M-F 8:00am-5:00pm
Fees: Sliding scale; call for details
Clients: General public
Alternate Languages: Spanish, Russian, Sign
Description: The Shangri-La Corporation provides specialized services to Oregonians with disabilities or to these who are economically disadvantaged. They have serve teen mothers and their children, unemployed men and women, homeless families, inmates incarcerated at Oregon’s correctional facilities, as well as adults with developmental disabilities, Alzheimer’s disease, and mental illness. Service schedules range from just a few hours of time to 24 hours/7 days a week including short-term support and intensive life-long care, and are personalized to meet an individual’s needs,skills and goals.


Vocational Rehabilitation Division - Dallas (OVRS)

(503) 378-5334
Address: 167 SW Academy St., Dallas, OR 97338
Fax: (503) 831-3385
TTY: (503) 831-1612
Service Hours: M-F 8:00am-5:00pm
Office Hours: M-F 8:00am-5:00pm
Fees: Free
Clients: General public
Alternate Languages: Available upon request

Description: The Vocational Rehabilitation Division serves people who have a disability, and the disability is in some way a barrier to employment. Their mission is to assist Oregonians with disabilities to achieve and maintain employment and independence.




WOU Texbook Loan Program





Legal Help

General Information- Flyer

return to top

Student Enrichment Program 503-838-8550 | or e-mail: