Skip to main content
Switch to text-only version
Get accessibility information and assistance

Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (VR & E)


Back to main page | Benefits | Forms | Resources | VR & E web site | Stipend rates | Vocational Rehabilitation Video


This program's primary function is to help Veterans who have service-connected disabilities become suitable employed, maintain employment, or achieve independance in daily living.



  • Veteran must have received or eventually receive, an honorable or other than dishonorable discharge.
  • Veteran must have a VA service-connected disability rating of 10% or more.
  • Specific eligibility is determined by the Department of Veteran Affairs Vocational Rehabilitation. For more information regarding these benefits please contact a vocational rehabilitation counselor to apply for this program. Click here for more information regarding eligibility.

back to top



  • 12 year basic period of eligibility from the date of separation from active military duty or the date the Veteran was first notified of a service-connected disability rating.

back to top



  • Comprehensive rehabilitation evaluation to determine abilities, skills, interests, and needs.
  • Vocational counseling and rehabilitation planning.
  • Employment services such as job-seeking skills, resume development, and other work readiness assistance.
  • Assistance finding and keeping a job, including the use of special employer incentives.
  • If needed, training such as On the Job Training (OJT), apprenticeships, and non-paid work experiences.
  • If needed, post-secondary training at college, vocational technical or business school. Recipients of this benefit at WOU typically receive:
    • Fully paid tuition and fees
      • Special fees such as parking passes, additional print credit, and other individually assessed fees will require special approval from your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor which may not be granted.
      • Special approvals will be noted on your 22-1905 in box 9.
    • Monthly stipend - check current stipend rates.
      • Effective August 1, 2011: An individual eligible for Chapter 33 who is receiving benefits under Chapter 31 may elect to receive the applicable Chapter 33 Monthly Housing Allowance in lieu of the monthly subsistence allowance. Students should contact their Vocational Rehabilitation counselors for additional information.
    • Allowance for books and supplies
      • Up to $500 for books and $120 for supplies at the WOU Bookstore not to exceed actual costs.
      • Exceptions must be approved by your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor and noted on your 22-1905 in box 9.
  • Supportive rehabilitation services including case management, counseling, and referral.
  • Independent living services.

back to top



Application for VA Benefits: on-line or Adobe PDF.

  • Applying on-line can assist in fewer data entry errors and speed up the process.
  • Testing into the program and meeting with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor is a required step to the application process. Contact a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor to make an appointment.

Enrollment Notification: MS Word or Adobe PDF.

  • Used to inform the Certifying Official at WOU regarding your educational program and your contact information.
  • You may only receive Veterans' Benefits for courses that are required for your program.
  • We will use the contact information you provide to contact you in the event that courses you request certification for do not appear to be required, there are changes in Veterans' Benefits we feel will affect you, or for questions regarding your educational program.
  • The address you provide will be the one we provide to the VA every time we notify them of your enrollment.

Requirements for VA Benefits at WOU: MS Word or Adobe PDF.

  • People have various notions of their responsibilities while receiving VA Benefits. We want to ensure everyone understand what is required of them so that all benefits can be processed and paid in a timely manor.

Release Information: Adobe PDF.

  • Vocational Rehabilitation counselors have requested that we keep this form on file to facilitate the release of information to them. If we do not have this form, then your counselor must send it to us when requesting information which can delay the processing of your benefits.
  • If you enter your counselor's name then we can only release information to that counselor and you will need to complete a new form if you change counselors.
  • If you leave your counselor's name blank then we can release information to anyone in the Vocational Rehabilitation Office.
  • If your Vocational Rehabilitation counselor is not located in the Portland office, please change the information to reflect your counselor's location.

Certification Request: MS Word or Adobe PDF.

  • Please submit this form to the Veterans' Clerk every term to request that we notify the VA of your enrollment directly after you register for classes.
  • This form is also used to give you a chance to tell us how each class is necessary for your degree program or any special information regarding your classes (such as classes taken at a different school, and classes with special course dates).
  • Your enrollment will not be sent to the VA until this form is received and any discrepancies are resolved.

Direct Deposit: Adobe PDF.

  • Complete if you wish to request a change to your direct deposit information.

back to top


Additional Resources for Chapter 31 Recipients

Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment

Disability imformation and resources

Disability services at WOU

Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs (ODVA)

Raytheon-SVA Scholarship

Salem Vet Center directions

Transcripts - JST

Troops to Teachers

VFW Scholarship


back to top


Contact Information for Veterans' Educational Benefits

WOU Veterans' Representative

Registrar's Office

Western Oregon University

345 N. Monmouth Ave.

Monmouth, OR 97361

ph: (503) 838-8183; fax: (503) 838-9696



Veterans' Affairs

1-888-GIBILL1 or 1-888-442-4551


Portland Vocational Rehabilitation Office

Room 1260

1220 SW 3rd Ave

Portland, OR 97204

ph: (503) 412-4577; fax: (503) 412-4740




University Registrar ph: (503) 838-8327; fax: (503) 838-9696 | or e-mail: