Students who complete this graduate program will join a pool of ASD Licensed Specialists who are highly trained in nationally recognized evidence-based interventions to train and coach local district personnel and work to assure fidelity of implementation of comprehensive educational services.
To start, you need:
- A master's degree
- can be earned while completing this specialization
- Current special education teaching license
- Experience in special education
Finishing will take:
- 5 terms
- 20 credits
- Completion of portfolio
Begin your ASD Specialization program:Summer term
Where you will take classes:
Technology you will need:
- Internet connection
- Video conferencing capability (e.g., Skype)
- Printer (optional)
Licensing required:Current teaching license is required
Where this specialization can take you:
- Autism Specialist ages 0-21
- Academic Leadership
- Preparation for doctoral programs
What you will learn:
Upon completion of this advanced program and recommendation to TSPC, ASD Specialists will be prepared to train, coach, and lead comprehensive education services for students with ASD, from early childhood to adulthood. They will demonstrate knowledge and skills in evidence-based methods to teach students with ASD, and further demonstrate knowledge and skills in meeting the unique needs of students with ASD.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in evidence-based methods to teach students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), and hold the knowledge and skills to train, coach and lead other school personnel in meeting the unique needs of students with ASD.
- Demonstrate mastery in all ASD standards and competencies to meet requirements for the ASD Specialization by Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission.
- Demonstrate commitment to professional excellence and leadership through establishing goals for ongoing professional development in the field of ASD.