Staff Senate Minutes
Hamersly Library 205
1. Roll Call: absent; Kathy Hill and Sue Payton
2. Guests: Connie Wildfang (proxy for Sue Payton), Judy Vanderburg
3. President John McArdle welcomed all Senators and visitors. He thanked the Senators for their willingness to serve the University. John asked the visitors to
feel free to share comments with the Senators and announced that Staff Senate
meetings are open to the campus as a whole.
4. Visitor Judy Vanderburg stated that we should make sure that Staff Senate would be represented in standing committees, assuring that names were put forward for campus wide committees. Martha will work with Debbie Diehm.
5. The minutes were reviewed, corrected, and approved.
a. The Staff Senate Name and Purpose document was referred to as the Staff
Senate By-Laws. By reference throughout the meeting, the document will be referred to as the Staff Senate By-Laws. The following changes to the document were approved:
· Were John McArdle was referenced as Chairperson; replaced by President.
· II. Structure; D Meetings, item 2; changed to: Meetings may take place as needed during the summer months.
· II. Structure; D. Meetings, item 5/c; changed to: Items need to be submitted to the President prior to the regular meeting.
· II. Structure; E. Parliamentary Authority, item 3; will vote to clarify the use of secret ballot vs. Public meeting laws.
b. / c. During the first Staff Senate meeting in July, The President, Dr. Philip
was asked by President John McArdle, to give a presentation regarding
the history and need for the Consensual Relationship Statement Policy and
the Discrimination & Harassment Policy on campus. Judy explained that
Department of Justice asked
policies, which are under review by the DOJ. The need on campus is
great, and there is a need to protect students, staff and faculty. There was
much discussion and a few recommendations regarding wording of the
documents were made. Should employees sign off on policies? This was a
strategy suggestion only but all would like to see it happen though some
means. It was noted that at the very least all campus policies should be
Page 2. Minutes
circulated to all employees. Students receive written policies that are
included their handbook; Planet Wolf.
d. There were no exofficio members recommended at this time.
e. Future meetings will be held on the first Friday of each month from
with the exception of the September meeting. Kathy
Alderson agreed to check on the availability of Hamersly, 205.
8. Future agenda items regarding computer training and customer service were
tabled until the next meeting. The Alcohol Policy will be added to next months
9. There were no announcements.
10. Meeting was adjourned at .
Respectfully submitted by Martha Boyd, Recorder