Admissions Requirements for International students
In order to be considered for admission to WOU, please mail the following items to:
Office of International Education and Development
Western Oregon University
345 N. Monmouth Ave.
Monmouth, OR 97361
1. Completed and signed application form and financial affidavit form.
Use your full legal name. List any former or maiden names, if applicable. The undergraduate and graduate application form is available online and in printable format. You may submit the online application or print and mail the printable version. Note that if you choose to apply online, you will still need to mail in the $60 application fee as well as complete the other steps in the application process.
2. $60 Application Fee + $80 International Express mailing fee.
Your application cannot be processed without the application fee. The fee is only valid for one academic year. If you wish to have your admission packet delivered by express courier service, please include an additional $80, a total of $140. The application fee must be paid by check or money order made payable to Western Oregon University. We do not accept credit cards at this time.
3. Official transcripts from previous school(s).
- Freshmen (students that have not attended any college, university or technical school) must include an official high school transcript and verification of diploma. See note below regarding our policy on original documents.
- Transfer and second bachelor’s applicants must send official transcripts from all colleges, universities, and professional schools attended. Transcripts must show all grades/marks earned along with credits/hours earned. See note below regarding our policy on original documents.
- Students currently enrolled in a U.S. English language Program must submit a letter from a school official verifying enrollment status.
- Graduate applicants must have a degree equivalent to a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Students that have completed their baccalaureate degree in a country that is a Signatory of the Bologna Declaration are considered to have a bachelor’s degree equivalent to a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree. For a list of countries that are Signatories of the Bologna Declaration please see: http://www.ond.vlaanderen.be/hogeronderwijs/bologna/pcao/index.htm
- Applicants must submit official transcripts from the university that granted the bachelor’s degree and from all other institutions of higher education where coursework was completed. A grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 is required from the last 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of undergraduate or graduate coursework. Applicants with a GPA of less than 3.0 may be admitted with an Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score. If the applicant’s GPA is 3.0 or higher, the test requirement is waived. If the GPA is less than 3.0 minimum required score for (a) MAT: 395 or higher; (b) GRE: minimum quantitative score: 147 and minimum verbal score: 148 and a 3.5 or higher on the Analytical Writing section. See note below regarding our policy on original documents.
- Academic Records Policy: Original documents are preferred, but certified copies are acceptable. Copies must be certified as official either by the institution or an official of the United States Embassy. Certified English translations of these records are also required. Students within the United States may obtain a notarized copy of the original transcript from an Official Public Notary. Photocopies and/or faxed copies of records are not acceptable.
4. Financial documentation:
Students must submit an official copy of personal or parent’s/sponsor’s bank statement showing a balance of at least $40,000 and/or official award letters for any scholarships/grants.
- The current tuition and fees at Western Oregon University are explained and estimated on the Tuition and Fees page. Please review the details for an explanation of how this estimate was made.
- Original documents are preferred, but certified copies are acceptable. Copies must be certified as official either by the bank or an official of the United States Embassy. Students within the United States may obtain an official bank statement signed by a bank official.
5. Photocopy of current passport ID page
6. Students from the People’s Republic of China must include a color copy of their Chinese citizenship ID card.
7. Official copy of English testing score report.
All non-native English speaking students must provide proof of proficiency in the English language as outlined in the chart below.
For students submitting TOEFL test results, the ETS WOU code is: 4585
English Proficiency Exemptions
Applicants are exempt from the English proficiency requirement if either (a) they are a citizen of one of the following countries, or (b) they received, or will receive, a Bachelor’s degree or higher from an institution of higher education that is located in one of the following countries:
|Antigua and Barbuda||Barbados||Belize||Bermuda||Canada (except Quebec)|
|Nigeria||Saint Kitts and Nevis||Saint Lucia||Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||Singapore|
|The Bahamas||Tobago and Trinidad||United Kingdom||United States|
We do not encourage, expect or require students to obtain services from private recruitment agencies. Please know that WOU receives no profit or financial gain from any agencies or organizations.
Students from the People’s Republic of China, please be aware that Chinese law prescribes limits on what private agencies can legally charge an applicant.
Questions? Call our main office at (503) 838-8425 or email us at email@example.com.