What is a Living Learning Community?
Living Learning Communities (LLCs) are set up to enhance students’ experiences at Western Oregon University by bringing together in a living-learning environment, students who share similar scholarly, multi-cultural or lifestyle interests.
Where are the Living Learning Communities located at Western Oregon University?
Ackerman Hall is the designated hall for LLCs at WOU. Because the Leed Platinum Ackerman Hall serves as home during the academic year to both First-Year and Upper-Division students, the LLCs here are open to all.
Why do I want to live in an LLC?
The LLCs at WOU are set up to provide a safe living-learning environment where students with common interests or goals are paired with programming and opportunities that are provided in support of their academic, personal and/or lifestyle choices. Students will be living and collaborating with peers and faculty members who share their interests, and will foster and encourage their personal growth. Following are some of the benefits of living in an LLC.
- You will explore and collaborate not only with your fellow LLC peers, but also across campus, sharing and expanding your perspectives as you consider the views and opinions of others
- You will live, connect with and be supported by a diverse community who share your interests, goals, and/or lifestyle choices
- All of this leads to enhancing friendships developed within the LLC, and increasing networking within the larger University community – and, an overall more positive and satisfying college experience
The LLCs at Western Oregon University
The Living Learning Communities at WOU are all located within the 4 floors in Ackerman Hall. Read the descriptions below, and see the location of each community within the hall. Which LLC might be the perfect community for you?
Navigate your transition to WOU by connecting with other transfer students and the WOU community to build your student success network.
- TAYLOR WING: GLOBAL CONNECTIONS
Embrace and share values, traditions and customs to expand personal multicultural understanding and appreciation.
- ARBUTHNOT WING: OUTDOOR ADVENTURES
Connect with outdoor enthusiasts who have an active lifestyle and share an appreciation for nature.
- GILMORE WING: HEALTH SCIENCES
Collaborate academically with students who are pursuing careers in health sciences or related industries.
- TAYLOR WING: SUSTAINABILITY
Develop and promote a shared interest in the environment and personal wellness by conserving and responsibly using resources.
- ARBUTHNOT WING: AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE (ASL) COMMUNITY
Practice American Sign Language in an immersive cultural and linguistic environment with deaf and hearing signers of all levels.
- GILMORE WING: CRIMINAL JUSTICE
Build connections with other students interested in a career of law enforcement, corrections or community crime prevention.
- TAYLOR WING: FUTURE EDUCATORS
Apply classroom learning and real-world experiences with other students passionate for educational environments.
- ARBUTHNOT WING: HONORS COMMUNITY
Network with other highly motivated students (Associated Students of Honors – requires pre-authorization) in an academically focused environment.
- GILMORE WING: CREATIVE ARTS
Explore different forms of expression to foster a shared appreciation for creativity and the arts.