M.S. in Education
Your best preparation for the Master of Science in Education program:
To be admitted, you should already have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Desire to thrive as a professional educator
Steps in applying to Master of Science in Education program:
- Apply to be a WOU graduate student ($60 fee)
- Apply to Master of Science in Education program
- We let you know via email about university acceptance within 7 days of receiving all application materials.
Deadlines and key dates:
Graduate students may apply to the program any term.
- Apply directly to Graduate Programs within 30 days of the beginning of the term you plan to start.
- Apply to the program as soon as possible for priority review and registration.
Detailed application requirements:
If you don’t live in Oregon and are applying for an online program:
We welcome applications from residents of most states. However, Western Oregon University is unable to accept new distance students residing in Alabama and Maryland at this time. Distance students in some other states may face additional restrictions regarding program admission and activity. Visit our State Authorization page to learn more.
- Apply for WOU Graduate Admission:
- Complete WOU Application for Graduate Admission form: Submit this form to the Graduate Office, Administration Building Office 107. You must be admitted to the WOU Graduate School before being considered for admission to the Master of Science in Education program.
- $60 application fee
- Evidence of completion of a four-year baccalaureate degree (or international equivalent) from regionally accredited institution as defined by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars, with a cumulative B average (equivalent 3.00 on a U.S. 4.00 grading scale) on the most recent baccalaureate degree. If the applicant’s cumulative GPA is below 3.00, but a calculation using the last 90 quarter credits (60 semester credits) of graded course work is 3.0 or higher, the latter will be used as the basis for admission. Applicants who hold a master’s degree will have the 3.0 GPA requirement waived.
- Applicants not meeting the minimum GPA requirement may be considered with a passing score on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or Graduate Record Exam (GRE). Minimum required score for the MAT: 395. Minimum required score for the GRE Verbal Reasoning: 148, Quantitative Reasoning: 147, Analytical Writing: 3.5
- Apply for Master of Science in Education program admission:
Process: You will be notified via email regarding acceptance status within 7 days of receiving a complete application. A complete program application includes the application form and a Professional Characteristics Demonstrated by a Master of Science in Education Candidate form. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. You will be notified via email if you are missing any application components.
Admission to the graduate program adheres to the guidelines laid down for general admission to the Graduate Programs at WOU, along with the following steps of application (all forms require Adobe Reader™ to save and create your digital signature):
- Hear back from us.
- Enroll in classes! (You will have to pay a one-time $300 matriculation fee at this point.)
All forms require Adobe Reader ™ to save and create your digital signature.