M.S. in Education: Special Education K-12
Where this degree can take you:
- Teaching K-12th grade
- Preparation for administration or doctoral programs
Individuals who want to become teachers who work with students with mild or severe disabilities. Candidates who successfully complete this program fulfill the requirement of the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC) and are eligible for initial teacher licensure in Oregon.
To start, you need:
- A bachelor’s degree
- Desire to become a special education teacher
Finishing will take:
- 2 years
- Minimum 45 credits
- Must meet with advisor to create a program contract
- A professional portfolio
Begin your masters degree in special education:
Fall term 2020
Where you will take classes:
- On campus
Technology you will need:
- Computer with internet conenction
- Video conferencing capability (e.g., Skype)
What you will learn:
The Special Educator initial endorsement program prepares special education teachers to work with students with mild disabilities and students with severe disabilities. The TSPC requires each student to be authorized to teach at one of two age-level authorizations: (1) early childhood/elementary or (2) middle school/high school. All endorsement course work taken at the 500 level can be included in the M.S. in Education: Special Education degree.
The Special Educator I program is designed for teachers who hold or are eligible to hold a valid initial teaching license. Six quarters of full-time training are required to complete the program.
The Special Educator II program is designed for students who do not hold a teaching license. Six quarters of full-time training are required to complete this program.
- Effectively teach students who have a wide range of cognitive, physical, emotional, and learning disabilities.
- Understand current, credible research findings on disability, instruction, assessment and behavior management.
- Provide enriched learning opportunities for students with disabilities in self-contained classrooms, resource rooms or general education classrooms.