M.S. in Education: Special Education Early Intervention
Your best preparation for the MSEd: Special Education program:
To be admitted, you should already have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Desire to teach special education
Steps in applying to MSEd: Special Education program:
- Apply to be a WOU graduate student ($60 fee)
- Apply to Master of Science in Education: Special Education program
- We let you know via email about university acceptance within 30 days of receiving all application materials and a passing interview.
Deadlines and key dates:
The Fall 2018 cohort is full and we are no longer accepting applications. Potential students may apply to the fall 2019 cohort by February 1, 2019. Applications will be available in September 2018.
Detailed application requirements:
- Apply for WOU Graduate Admission:
If you don’t live in Oregon and are applying for an online program:
We welcome applications from residents of most states. However, Western Oregon University is unable to accept new distance students residing in Alabama and Maryland at this time. Distance students in some other states may face additional restrictions regarding program admission and activity. Visit our State Authorization page to learn more.
- Complete WOU Application for Graduate Admission form: Submit this form to the Graduate Office, Administration Building Office 107. You must be admitted to the WOU Graduate School before being considered for admission to the Master of Science in Education: Special Education program. Submit all WOU Graduate School application materials to the Graduate Office at least one week prior to the program admission deadline.
- $60 application fee
- Evidence of completion of a four-year baccalaureate degree (or international equivalent) from regionally accredited institution as defined by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars, with a cumulative B average (equivalent 3.00 on a U.S. 4.00 grading scale) on the most recent baccalaureate degree. If the applicant’s cumulative GPA is below 3.00, but a calculation using the last 90 quarter credits (60 semester credits) of graded course work is 3.0 or higher, the latter will be used as the basis for admission. Applicants who hold a master’s degree will have the 3.0 GPA requirement waived.
- Applicants not meeting the minimum GPA requirement may be considered with a passing score on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or Graduate Record Exam (GRE). Minimum required score for the MAT: 395. Minimum required score for the GRE Verbal Reasoning: 148, Quantitative Reasoning: 147, Analytical Writing: 3.5
- Apply for Master of Science in Education: Special Education program admission:
- Completed, signed and dated Special Educator Program Application
- Three confidential letters of recommendation MUST be mailed directly by each reference to the WOU Special Educator Program (address on forms). You must NOT submit the completed reference forms with your application. Download the Confidential Reference form.
- Copies of official transcripts from all universities attended are to be submitted with the WOU Application for Graduate Admission. Photocopies will be made for your Special Education Program file and the College of Education.
- Hear back from us.
- Enroll in classes! (You will have to pay a one-time $300 matriculation fee at this point.)
All forms require Adobe Reader ™ to save and create your digital signature.