M.M. Contemporary Music
This degree can prepare you for:
- Doctoral music program
- Music career in:
- audio engineering
To start, you need:
- A bachelor’s degree in music at an accredited university
Finishing will take:
- 2 years
- 54 credits
- Studio-produced audio recording
- Public recital
Begin your Master of Music in Contemporary Music program:
Preferably in the fall term; mid-year entry, however, may be allowed if special circumstances exist.
Where you will take classes:
- On campus
Technology you will need:
- All technology for your masters in music is available via the department’s technology labs: recording facility and midi keyboard facility.
What you will learn:
The masters degree in music incorporates a contemporary music curriculum that extends to music of the European art tradition, jazz, popular music and music of non-Western cultures. Encourages connections among diverse music cultures, between and within the arts and other expressions of human endeavor, and supports creativity, innovation, and discovery as students prepare for future professional involvement.
- Be knowledgeable and articulate about the practices and works of the music from the 20th and 21st centuries, as well as the core of musical knowledge prior to these centuries.
- Develop advanced levels of expertise in their concentration areas and apply that knowledge in a broad range of musical environments.
- Develop self-awareness as artists, educators, and music leaders.