Your best preparation for the ESOL program:
To be admitted, you should already have:
- Valid Oregon teaching license or be working towards licensure in MAT program
- Classroom experience in your preferred area and/or age group
- Desire to thrive as a professional educator
Steps in applying to ESOL program:
- Apply to be a WOU graduate student ($60 fee)
- Meet with an ESOL advisor to complete a program plan
- We let you know via email about university acceptance within 7 days of receiving all application materials.
Deadlines and key dates:
Graduate students may apply to the program any term.
- Apply directly to Graduate Programs within 30 days of the beginning of the term you plan to start.
Detailed application requirements:
If you don’t live in Oregon and are applying for an online program:
We welcome applications from residents of most states. However, Western Oregon University is unable to accept new distance students residing in Alabama and Maryland at this time. Distance students in some other states may face additional restrictions regarding program admission and activity. Visit our State Authorization page to learn more.
- Apply for WOU Graduate admission:
- Complete WOU Application for Graduate Admission form: Submit this form to the Graduate Office, Administration Building Office 107. You must be admitted to the WOU Graduate School before being considered for admission to the ESOL endorsement program.
- Evidence of completion of a four-year baccalaureate degree (or international equivalent) from regionally accredited institution as defined by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars, with a cumulative B average (equivalent 3.00 on a U.S. 4.00 grading scale) on the most recent baccalaureate degree. If the applicant’s cumulative GPA is below 3.00, but a calculation using the last 90 quarter credits (60 semester credits) of graded course work is 3.0 or higher, the latter will be used as the basis for admission. Applicants who hold a master’s degree will have the 3.0 GPA requirement waived.
- Applicants not meeting the minimum GPA requirement may be considered with a passing score on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or Graduate Record Exam (GRE). Minimum required score for the MAT: 395. Minimum required score for the GRE Verbal Reasoning: 148, Quantitative Reasoning: 147, Analytical Writing: 3.5
- Apply for ESOL Endorsement program admission:
- Hear back from us.
- Enroll in classes! (You will have to pay a one-time $300 matriculation fee at this point.)