Account security can be enhanced with 2-factor authentication.
Why would I want to use 2-factor authentication?
If you use the same password for many of your accounts, your credentials are probably published on the dark web. Several years ago, I was approached by a questionable vendor that provided me with many of your passwords. I alerted campus when this occurred. My password was included on the list.
Use a different password for each of your accounts.
Change your password frequently. (https://wou.edu/accountlookup)
Use a long password.
Utilize 2-factor authentication when it is available.
2-factor authentication provides an extra layer of security. After you successfully enter your userid and password, the system will ask you for some type of token. Google Authenticator is a great place to get your token. You can run Google Authenticator on your iPhone or Android device, providing you the token. New tokens are produced every 30 seconds.
Google Authenticator can be found here:
Amazon, Amazon AWS and Google all provide support for 2-factor authentication. That means you can turn on 2-factor authentication for all your Google Apps.
Google help can be found here:
Amazon help can be found here:
- The warehouse design is based on Ralf Kimball’s data model
- The Kimball model includes both dimensions and facts
- The model revolves around numbers (facts)
- The dimensions describe the facts
- A dimensional model is optimized for reporting (queries)
- The warehouse is a “snapshot in time” of Banner data and other non-Banner data sources
- Cognos is the reporting tool that is used to pull the data from the warehouse
- Converted as PDF and printed
- Saved as Excel file
- e-mailed to your inbox
- Facts (also referred to as cubes):
- contains the data corresponding to a particular business process, action or event; typically numeric (links two or more dimensions together)
- example of a fact: registration(credit hours, grades, quality points)
- contains details about each instance of an fact (descriptors)
- examples of dimensions: academic year, academic period, entity(last name, first name), section(course title, course number, crn, section term code)
- The Data Warehouse was placed into production on June 2, 2014.
- The warehouse includes 108,702,145 rows of data from Banner Finance, Student and Human Resources and Financial Aid
- Reporting includes pre-built and ad-hoc queries.
- The data is refreshed on a nightly basis.
- # of Dimensions ………………………….72
- # of Cubes ………………………………….56
- # of data elements (columns) …..2,666
For access to the data warehouse, contact Faye Whitenack at email@example.com.
For Cognos Warehouse training, contact Max Chartier at firstname.lastname@example.org
What is VDI?
- Virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) is a collection of desktop operating systems, hosted on a collection of virtualized servers.
What does the VDI infrastructure look like?
- There is a collection of 400 virtualized Windows 7 desktops ready to be accessed
- Current utilization is 100 – 130 concurrent users
- If desktop utilization becomes greater than 350, then 25 additional Windows 7 desktops are automatically built, giving us 425. This will be repeated as concurrent user demand increases. Build time for the 25 additional desktops is 15 – 20 minutes
- When you logout of a desktop, the image is destroyed and rebuilt from the golden image (no more virus worries!)
- There are 7 virtual servers dedicated to VDI.
- VDI runs on Solid State Drives
- VDI is load balanced across two gateways
- VDI servers are located, both in the Data Center and DeVolder
How can VDI be accessed?
- At various locations on campus, including the Hamersly Library, Wyse terminals are directly connected to VDI.
- VDI can be acessed with a web browser
- Select the icon on the right side of the screen labeled, VMware Horizon HTML Access
- Use your Pawprint login credentials to authenticate
- Select the “Lab Stations” icon to connect to Windows 7
Will I have access to my network drives?
- Yes, H:, I:, J:, P:, etc are all accessible
What software is available on the Windows 7 virtual desktop?
- Microsoft Office Suite, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox
- ArcGIS, BlueJ, eclipse, Fathom, Foxit Reader,Geo Gebra
- GS View, Ghostscript, Green Globs, Escape!, GSP
- SPSS,Kinovea, LEGO Mindstorms, Maple, MatLab, TeXworks
- Printkey, Python, QuickBooks, QuickTime, RealNetworks Suite
- Subversion, VLC, WinDirStat, WinEdit, WinRAR
- Select the down arrow in the top middle of the screen.
- This will display a down arrow. Select the down arrow to display menu options
- Options include
- Send control-alt-delete message to Windows
- Toggle to full screen
- Paste text
- Transfer data to and from USB drive attached to local computer
- Install VMware Horizon Client on your local computer (an alternative to the web client
- Select Connection, then USB from the VMware Horizon Client menu
- Select Automatically connect when inserted (you will now be able to copy files to / from networks drives from / to local USB storage
What is WordPress?
- Website content management system (CMS)
- Open source website creation tool
- Written in PHP
- A tool that can be used to maintain your website using a web-browser on your desktop or handheld device
Who uses WordPress?
How did WOU select WordPress?
- Recruitment expressed interest in a revamping of the WOU website, with a redesign that focused on new students
- Graduate Programs hired Stamats to design a website that was in alignment with their mission
- Included in the design specifications, was a recommendation to utilize WordPress to implement the new design
- Included in the specifications:
- Search engine optimization
- Mobile friendly site
- X-platform video integration
- HighEdWeb conference was attended by Public Relations, Graduate Programs and University Computing Services
- Other universities shared their success with an online CMS (WordPress)
- Several universities highly recommended utilizing WordPress
- There were several presentations where universities demonstrated many features that WordPress incorporates
- Vast amounts of resources are available for the management and maintenance of WordPress
- Easy to use plug-ins, which allow for unlimited possibilities, are available
- Mobile friendly
- Google pushes mobile friendly sites up to the top of search results
- Better integration for blog and social media feeds
- Cohesive look throughout the whole website which will give end users a better experience navigating the website as well as a more professional feel
- Relevant and up to date content (old outdated pages/sites will be deleted and no longer searchable through Google)
How do I get WordPress support?
- Contact Danielle Gauntz at 503-838-8215 or email@example.com
- Support provided thru:
- Training sessions
- One on one sessions
- Danielle or one of her staff will convert your site for you