London Living

I’ve been having trouble trying to find a time to actually sit down and write my blog posts. I have been so busy the past few weeks and I know my schedule won’t be clearing up any time soon (I can sleep when I die, right?)

I spent this past weekend in Paris with a tour group that Roehampton recommends to all study abroad students. Paris was alright but I highly doubt I will ever revisit it there unless someone pays for my trip for me. The weather was disgusting when I was there. There was an overcast every day and it was freezing outside. The trip really made me realize how much I love live in London. I feel so much more comfortable here than I did in Paris. Although I did enjoy the bike tour of the city we went on. That was actually pretty fun and I didn’t fall once which was nice. My favorite part about my trip to France was the Gardens of Versailles. They were beautiful and I loved being able to explore the history there.

My least favorite part of Paris (besides the weather) was the sketchy environment. Paris wasn’t as dirty or smelly as I have been told but there are a lot of pick-pocketers and loitering every where you go. I kept a close watch on all my belongings and unlike here in London, I don’t think I would have felt safe exploring the city on my own. But that might also have something to do with the language barrier. It was very eyeopening for me to be in a place where the main language wasn’t English. Even though most people I talked with spoke English, it was different for me to be on the Metro and not hear a word of English. Now that I look back I am wondering if my views on Paris would be different had I spent more time there. It was such a big culture shock that I bet it would take a lot longer than three days for me to begin to settle in.

The weekend before I left for Paris I went to the Harry Potter Studio Tour here in England. It was so great! I grew up reading Harry Potter and watching the movies so being on the actual set brought my childhood to life and I absolutely loved it! When I turned into Diagon Alley I was so happy I shed a few tears. It was unreal. I could have spent all day in there but unfortunately the studio was about to close and we had to rush through the last half of the tour. It was so neat being able to see the actual stage sets and costumes used during all eight movies.

The same weekend I went to the studio tour I also spent a day traveling outside London. Me and a group of my friends decided to travel to Eastbourne and Brighton, two cities on the coast of England. We hiked up a huge mountain in Eastbourne that looked over the ocean one way and the town the other way. It was beautiful but I really regretted not bringing my inhaler with me. In Brighton we ate at a restaurant on the dock and I had the most delicious fish and chips ever! I also had a Nutella, Banana, and creme crepe from a small booth on the dock and it was the most amazing dessert I have ever tasted. We spent almost the entire day walking around so I didn’t feel an ounce of guilt eating the whole crepe myself.

I cannot believe I have been living in London for over a month already. I absolutely love it here. It really is beginning to feel like home. If I could move my family and friends and my little puppy Lilo over here I would never leave. I probably said that in my last blog post but that is because it is sooo true! It is hard for me to write about my experience here because there are no words that can actually describe my experience.

Since being here I have found a new love for coffee and pasta. Pasta is cheap to make and coffee keeps me functioning.

I would like to thank my mom for sending me American mac and cheese. I can’t wait to receive the next shipment. I already have Spam waiting in my room to be added to the yumminess. paris 12141745_10207696112710423_2743473808731709275_n 12111996_10207688925690752_7795065185867159546_n 12088030_10207712582282152_1357744591824542435_n