Lyon Week 2

This week was packed full of sightseeing in Lyon. We explored almost the whole city by foot. We had a guided tour of Vieux Lyon. Which has the Basilique Notre-Dame de Fourvière, the ancient Roman ruins (2000 years old) and many old churches and buildings. It is really fascinating how the French take pride in their architecture. They will do everything possible to restore old buildings instead of just knocking them down like we do back in the states.

New construction here is built around existing building and this juxtaposition of the old and new brings a lot of charm to the city. I believe the French do this because they truly believe France is the best place on earth and what has been made here should never be destroyed but merely enhanced when necessary.

Below are some pictures I took of Vieux Lyon while exploring the city:

IMG_6984 IMG_6956 IMG_6951 IMG_6950 IMG_6945

Another part of the city that we explored is called La Confluence. This part of town is completely different from Vieux Lyon. La Confluence is the newest part of the city. In a way it reminds me of the United States with all its new buildings and modern architecture. However, the main difference is as I previously stated is that art in the French culture is very important. As modern as La Confluence is, it is not boring in any way. It is as visually pleasing as the Basilique Notre-Dame de Fourvière which is much older. For the most part, in France they don’t build building just to build them, but to enhance their cities.

Below are some pictures I took of La Confluence:

12004817_10207846743275384_5222921399368876527_n 11885228_10207764994391713_309565519786901040_n

Another aspect of the French culture that is well known all over the world is their love of food. I have always known that the French eat very well. I knew they had some of the best restaurants and cuisine in the world. But, what has shocked me the most is how even when they prepare their own meals at home how much effort they put into their food. Meal times are almost sacred here. I thought this would be different with younger French people, but it’s not.

I live with 4 other French students and each of them has a passion for great food. They will easily spend one hour every night making their dinners and lunch is no different. They cherish their meals here. This is completely contrary to our American culture of popping  a TV dinner in the microwave and calling it good. The way they treat food here is something I will easily get accustomed to!

C’est tout pour le moment!

Au revoir