Week 2

WOU blog writer Courtney Richardson reporting in from the last week. Saturday I flew out to Dublin and made a pit stop at the Hard Rock Cafe before catching a train to Galway. I spent the night in a hostel which was an interesting experience that I’m glad I got, but I definitely prefer hotels. Sunday I hung out with the lovely Jen Hight and we tromped around Galway for a while before I had to catch a plane back to London. Monday we had our class at the British library so that we could see their Magna Carta exhibit, it was pretty cool but I liked seeing the old English copy of Beowulf more. That night I went shopping with some friends and found the Disney store, which was great for me…but maybe not so great for my wallet. Tuesday brought another field trip, this time out to Windsor castle and Runnymede because this week was all about the Magna Carta, literally, only the Magna Carta. Windsor was cool, except for the part where I ended up sunburned. At Runnymede we saw the JFK memorial that the Brits put up, the Magna Carta memorial that the American bar association put up, and the Air Force memorial. There was so much climbing, my legs still hurt, but the views were incredible. Wednesday was class and a nice relaxing day in to recover from Tuesday. Thursday I spent with Jen Hight again, but this time in London. And I finally got to go see Westminster Abbey, although I think I was more excited by the fact that Jeremy irons was the narrator of the audio guide than I was about the stuff in there. Friday started way too early but I was going to Scotland so it was worth it. Saturday we had a free day to tromp around Edinburgh, I might’ve gotten lost, we won’t talk about it. We also saw Edinburgh castle which was pretty cool. Sunday we came back to London, but not until after we saw Alnwick castle. Now that is how a castle should look. I’ll report back later with more adventures, but first have some pictures.

image

Panoramic view from Alnwick

image

Panoramic view of Alnwick

image

Same as above

image

Same as above

image

Same as above

image

Window in Westminster, featuring Henry VIII

image

Window in Westminster featuring Elizabeth I

image

Panoramic view from the air forces memorial

image

same as above

image

Yeah, no explanation needed here

image

Found this pub in Galway, shitty picture but it’s Richardson’s

image

Did I mention that I found a storm trooper in Edinburgh? Because I did, and it was awesome

One thought on “Week 2

1. Hi Courtney!

Thanks for posting such lovely pictures! I enjoy hearing about all the traveling you’re doing. Fabulous! Though you won’t talk about it, I hope getting lost wasn’t too stressful and that you found some positive aspects to it. Some of the best food I ate in Italy when I studied abroad was when I was lost.