First week–done!

Traditional Hand-Painted Ox Cart at Cafe Britt

Theater in Downtown San Jose

Theater in Downtown San Jose

This week has been so…so full!
After my first night here I was already leaving for my first excursion. We went to Cafe Britt and did the coffee tour put on by the lovely and comical staff there. I had a great time tasting coffees and learning more about the coffee making process.

Once we returned to San Jose we did a walking tour of downtown. The guide for my small group was wonderful and was so aware of all of the little details in the city! As we passed numerous types of plants and trees, he commented on them and was explaining to us the significance of each plant and adaptation.

Walking downtown was nice, but as expected my group got a lot of stares. So far the Tico’s, or Costa Ricans, that I have met have been nice and enthusiastic about their country.

Classes here are pretty intense. I have 6 hours of class per day, and a decent amount of homework. This actually makes me have to work, so they are serious when they call these classes “intensive.” My Spanish classes are from 8am-12, and are only 4 weeks long each. That means I am a quarter done with my Spanish term, already… what in the world!?

I am also taking Marine Bio (in English) and Digital Photography (in English), and my profs for those classes are GREAT! Can’t wait to see how the rest of the semester goes!