Week 2- It’s going good

After our excursion on Friday last week the weekend went by and that was spent exploring Segovia. There is so much to see and explore around here. There are beautiful views and so many places to take nice walks.

The view of the cathedral from the Alcazar

The view of the castle from a park

The view of the castle from a park

A jump in front of the Alcazar!

A jump in front of the Alcazar!

Week 2 of classes began and everything went well. This week we really began to get into the classes. I’m really learning a lot in all of my classes. I find it more interesting learning everything in Spanish. All of our professors are really nice and our director Marian is great too! We visited the Cathedral on Thursday, we were able to go inside. It’s such a big, well kept cathedral. As we walked around and Marian taught us about the meaning and history of many things I can’t but feel so privileged to be in Segovia and be learning so much.

The cathedral with the sunset in the background

I think I’ve adjusted pretty well to life in Segovia, not completely but I’m getting there. Adjusting to different meal times and the night life. Going out with the group out of class and going to the bars is nice because we all get to know each other and bond. One night we were out at a bar and played card games, that was so much fun. Although I may be the quiet one in the group I’m adjusting really well with the group and getting to know everyone.

As a part of our program we have the opportunity to have conversation partners with the cadets at the Academy of Artillery here in Segovia. This is a way for us to better our Spanish and for the cadets to better their English. We’ve gone out a couple of times and they are really nice to talk to and get to know. I’m really enjoying learning things about Spain and then comparing it to the U.S. My host brother is very much into politics and up to date on current issues so I enjoy talking to him and learning about things from his perspective.

The 3 female cadets at the Academy, they're great!

The only 3 female cadets at the Academy, they’re great!

This week I also got to visit my volunteer site for the semester and I must admit I was nervous at first to learn that I would be an English teacher, have my own class and teach my own class. After talking to the director at the non profit organization “Caritas” I became more comfortable with the idea. The people I will teach to are adults that have no knowledge of speaking English. I asked one of my friends if she would help me out in teaching this class and she agreed so soon we will start to teach. I’m excited to teach people another language. I’m really starting to feel grateful and see the benefits of speaking two languages. Being bilingual is really beneficial and many people have told me how lucky I am to be fluent in both languages.

Today some of us from the group decided to take a trip to Madrid. It was quiet the adventure, we didn’t really have a plan of where we were going, we just grabbed the map and explored. Like anyone else, we were all craving our American food so we went to TGI Fridays for a burger, it was yummy! and of course we all grabbed some Starbucks too! Like in the U.S there is a Starbucks at every corner in Madrid. Madrid is really a big city and filled with so many people. It was nice to explore. I can’t wait for the rest of the exploring that lies ahead in my 3 month stay here. Being in Europe already trips are being planned to many places!

Madrid- The buildings are so unique!

Madrid- The buildings are so unique!

Walking the streets of Madrid

Walking the streets of Madrid

In front of the Temple of Debod in Madrid

3 thoughts on “Week 2- It’s going good

1. I’m glad you’re adjusting well. I think it’s exciting that you get to teach a class. You’ll do great. Just think back to your early years and learning both Spanish and English. You’ll have some good ideas for developing vocabulary exercises and speaking practice. It’s nice that you’ll have a team teacher, and together you’ll be able to develop effective lesson plans. Michele

2. That’s so cool that you get to teach English! I hope that you get to go to Barcelona. I am going there for fall break and would love to hear what someone else thinks of it first! 🙂

• Barcelona was great! I was there for the weekend. I definitely recommend buying tickets for the Barcelona tour bus! you can see so much of the city with that, and you just get off and on anywhere you want, the buses pass every 5 min so it’s really neat. The beach was great as well! The Rambla is a street filled with souvenir shops and restaurants so you can find places to eat there. Depending on where you’ll be going during your stay it might be best to use a taxi. There was 4 of us girls and we always split the cost so it was cheap for us. We didn’t want to bother trying to figure out the metro since we were only there for a weekend.
      ALWAYS pay attention to your purse! have your hand over it and keep an eye on your stuff. There are pick pocketers and they’re good at what they do. So just be aware of your stuff. Other than that Barcelona was great! you will love it!