Preparing to Return Home: Macerata, Italy

I really wish the program was longer because I am just now used to Italian customs, starting to understand the language, and am really enjoying myself here. But there are things about the states that I really do miss. I would say I have mixed feelings about going home. I am at a point where Italy is my home as well. I have friends and a family here that I am going to miss dearly.

Italy is and isn’t what I visualized at the same time. The atmosphere is even more relaxed than I anticipated. Filiberto says that Italians run on “Italian time.” Basically meaning they are usually late because they show up somewhere when they feel like it.

The country is just as gorgeous as I anticipated and it is surprising to me how much of Italy reminds me of my home back in Hood River. One thing I stated in my pre-departure post that wasn’t true was the use of English. The language barrier was a lot bigger than I was expecting it to be, and I wish I had memorized at least a few phrases in Italian before departing.

I did manage to sing in one of the cathedrals we went in and was able to attend an opera which were things that I was really looking forwards to doing while here. Filiberto said that there was a music program going on here shortly after the art one that I just took, and it would have been amazing had I been able to do that as well.

I will miss these ladies. From top left to right: Kris, Sarah. Bottom left to right: Me, Marisa.

But I do miss my boyfriend Shane

But I do miss my boyfriend Shane

And I really do miss my sisters. Left to right: Me, Traci, Sierra

Arrivederci Italia!

-Jolene Johnson

One thought on “Preparing to Return Home: Macerata, Italy