Pre-Departure: Macerata, Italy

In a few short days I will be leaving for Macerata, Italy. I will be there for 5 weeks and will be studying painting, drawing, and a bit of Italian.

I expect Italy to be just the way I see it on TV/Movies and in books-a beautiful country. From rolling hillsides to beautiful beaches. With old buildings and cathedrals. A super relaxed atmosphere. A place that will be very enjoyable in the summertime.

I looked up the place in which I will be staying on the map and saw that it is very close to the Adriatic Sea. But seeing as the places I will be staying are pretty rural, finding images of it is a bit challenging. I anticipate and hope that the place that is only 30 minutes from Macerata will look something like this!

Italy on coast

I expect many people to speak Italian, but the town is near a University so the amount of English should also be highly prominent. I am really excited and almost find it hard to believe that I am going. I am also really nervous-especially the closer the departure date gets. There is a part of me that is stoked to go and a part that doesn’t want to leave at all. I will miss my family and boyfriend sooooooo much!

My dream would be to not only study art there but to also brush up on my opera. I have studied opera for quite a few years now and to get the opportunity to study it in Italy as well as art would be mind blowing-ly awesome.

-Jolene Johnson

One thought on “Pre-Departure: Macerata, Italy