Back in Oregon!

After my long flights home I’m finally here! As happy as I am with my experience abroad I am so glad to be back home! I was filled with emotions as I was walking towards my family at the airport, at first sight of them a huge smile took over my face and then as I was about half way to them I began crying. I missed my family so much and it was so good to see them again.

My arrival back in the U.S. gave me a feeling of relief, the complete opposite of how I felt after landing in London. My arrival in London was so overwhelming, there was so much to take in that it took me awhile to truly get settled in there and begin feeling comfortable. Arriving back home is coming back to a place that I know and I was actually excited to get back to my normal schedule and getting settled in to my new house here in Monmouth.

I do however miss things about the culture and lifestyle I had in London. I obviously miss the people, all the friends I made while abroad. Culturally I miss some of the food, like the sandwiches and how the foods there have simpler ingredients in them and appeared to be less processed than the food in America. I also miss how walking became such a big part of my day there because that was my only way around. It inspires me to make walking more of a habit here when it’s reasonable rather than driving places like school and the grocery store.

Being back home I appreciated my home, kitchen and being able to cook myself dinners again. I definitely appreciate having air conditioning again! But most of all I am just appreciating being around my family and loved ones again and spending time with them before school begins.

Like I’ve said, looking back on my overall experience abroad it was absolutely amazing. I learned so much about being in a different culture and I truly don’t regret a thing.

One thought on “Back in Oregon!

1. Thank you for this lovely return post. You feel appreciation for your experience in London and renewed appreciation for what home holds for you. As you move forward in your life, you’ll find that the two will meld together in unexpected ways. Michele