Pre Departure, Lima, Peru

Today is Sunday July 28th, and I leave for Lima early Tuesday morning, July 30th. The last two weeks of packing and moving went by very fast, it seems I had all this time to get things done before I left and now the time is here and I still have SO much to do. Friday the 26th I packed my entire 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath town house into a 5 foot by 10 foot storage unit, everything fit except one chair and my dinner table. I was amazed! On that same Friday I sat at Yeasty Beasty on Main street with my mom and brother, a few family friends, and my best friend. Watching people outside walking from the pub to the market, riding their bikes, or just enjoying others’ company made me realize how much I truly am going to miss Monmouth. I know I am going to have the time of my life while I am gone, but I can’t help to think of the fun I will be missing.

I am pretty unsure of how it will be in Peru. I have heard mixed things: “don’t talk to strangers; you can’t trust anyone” or things such as “every person you meet in Peru will greet you with a smile and treat you with respect”…..I’m hoping that is how it really will be. I hope to improve my Spanish, well…..I BETTER improve my Spanish since that is the whole purpose of this study abroad. I’m not worried though, I know I’ll be using it everyday, all day.

I can’t even describe my emotions right now because I don’t exactly know what I am feeling; excited? scared? nervous? All of the above….. I am excited to go, but sad to go. Happy to be fortunate enough to experience something this incredible but worried about potential situations, but one thing I am certain of is that I will have the most amazing experience of my life.

-Hannah

photo 3

One thought on “Pre Departure, Lima, Peru

1. You are experiencing the feeling of one ready to begin a significant journey–eagerness to go–sadness to leave behind your current life. I’ve not been to Peru, but what I know from the other Latin American countries I have visited is that Latinos are friendly and helpful and really appreciate a person’s efforts to use their language. It doesn’t matter what level their language skills are. And like any large city any where in the world (the US included) you have to use your street smarts and be observant of your surroundings. You are going to do beautifully, and I look forward to reading about your journey. Michele