Pre-departure post

It’s four in the morning the day I am supposed to leave for Argentina, and I have finally finished packing the last of my things. I have a very vague sense of what Argentina will look like or what the people will look like because I have spent little time up till now researching it. Not because I was lazy, but I felt weird and awkward spying on another culture and expecting any information about Argentina from a second hand source. My approach is that I want to go into Argentina with an open mind and not treat or view anyone differently than I would if I had met them at WOU or somewhere in the US.

planetoBA

This is a picture of the plane that of the plane that I will have taken from the Houston Airport to Buenos Aires, a 10.5 hour trip.

Going into this journey I feel slight apprehensive because my Spanish skills aren’t that great, and I haven’t studied the Argentine accent or their use of the “vos” form that much so I’m worried about being able to communicate with others while I am there. I am also entering the country with a little amount of money because my financial aid money has been very slow to come through. I am sure that these factors will not prevent me from enjoying myself in Argentina.

One thought on “Pre-departure post

1. I can appreciate not wanting to develop too many preconceived notions about Argentina before you leave. You will have a clean slate on which to record your observations. In regard to the Spanish dialect spoken in Argentina, I think your ear will adjust quickly. Jump right in and use the language. Don’t worry about what you don’t know. Michele