Everything changes, everything stays the same

ImagePolitics happen. Whether you’re in a formal debate during elections or enjoying a drink at a party, the art of influencing people’s beliefs on a civic or individual level occurs to even the most reluctant of us.  In South Africa, politics can be as blatant as a formal protest concerning equal gender and race rights, as subtle as an underhand comment made by a friend at a party, or as innocent as the type of music played on the radio.

I know SA isn’t unique in this respect but here every interaction seems on display and is so much more tangible to observe.  I got lost today- shocker. Something about losing my train ticket and getting off on the wrong side of the subway…regardless I found myself wondering  around a neighborhood with a bottle of wine in my bag (for a later hike up the mountain)  and a confused face.  I don’t think I have much self-dignity because I’ve never had trouble asking for help or directions or seconds at dinner. First man I saw- I asked, he led me to a shop and we got everything sorted. As we walked away he said that white girls don’t usually trust black men or even really engage with them. This wasn’t the first time I had heard such a comment.

At a party with some local friends I was part of some banter (love banter) and then the conversation turned political in nature (love politics). A lot of comments were thrown about by the whites to the blacks about “your government.”  Although a new SA youth is arising and the future holds good things, the deep divide in loyalty and trust between those in power, those who are rich, and those who get left behind is as relevant as ever. That party was one of the best of my life though with so much diversity representing. I felt like I was with the emerging hipsters of Cape Town.

I can never understand the full complexity of any nation, let alone take a stab after one week of living here, but I find it so interesting that even though whites were the oppressors in the past and the actual government is made primarily of blacks presently the fabric of SA society is so embedded in distrust of the colored.  I know the stats on crime and rape and the horrible things that happen to people who don’t have their guard up or who trust the wrong people. But how awful is it to live life distrusting and stereotyping a whole race or class.

I am thinking out loud and wish my thoughts sounded more intelligent. Just know that there is a bunch going on up there and I am trying to process it all, but sometimes a little word vomit can’t be all that harmful.

Heather

One thought on “Everything changes, everything stays the same

1. You express your thoughts well and especially well considering the environment of contradictions in which you are immersed. I see that you refer to “the colored” and I’m assuming that must be a term that is still used in South Africa. Though rarely used in the U.S. today, there was a time not so long ago when it was used and not in a positive way. Michele
    PS The ability to ask for help shows a great deal of dignity as well as openness to those around you.