Lost for words…

flagI am convinced that good writers must lead boring lives. I say this because the more interesting life I have the worst my writing gets. Give me two days on my farm and I will write you 10 pages of brilliance concerning horticulture, how I interact with the world, and the very meaning of life- but two days in Cape Town South Africa and I produce a few scribbles and a bullet list of snippets in my journal. 

Beautiful view of the waterfront and Table Top mountain looming in the distance

The reason being that this adventure from PDX airport to my apartment here in Cape Town could already fill countless pages so I get overwhelmed, pout a little, and then resort to my bullet points. Should I first write extensively about the unmatched beauty of Cape Town’s epic mountains, white beaches, European style cathedrals and the whole adventure paradise aspect of this city? But if I do that I would feel convicted to write equally about my political and social thoughts of the place and how this country is one of contradictions both beautiful and contemptible. 11 official languages alone make for a country that cannot be put in a box or stereotyped. I still have yet to meet the ideal South African because such a person doesn’t exist.  A refugee vendor will be selling gum and cigarettes steps away from a uber hip natural food store with a very white population inside that makes me feel like I am somewhere in Oregon. There are places in the city that expel wealth like sweat on a hot day and then minutes away neighbourhoods that roar poverty.

Evidence of the strong European influences in this nation

Although apartheid was abolished more than two decades ago, I have already experience distrust between whites and blacks. When I couldn’t exchange my money because I didn’t have my passport, a black vendor told me to follow him and he could help. I was immediately on my guard (which a smart traveller should always be) but followed him down an ally and into a room while staying very alert (Michelle Price if you’re reading this I promise I was always looking for escape routes and made sure people were still around ; )  The man sitting at the desk gave a decent exchange for my money and later Benjamin (my new found friends name) accused whites of not trusting blacks and was surprised that I came with him. I told him people probably just have a general distrust in humanity but still that experience was very interesting. On another note I have acquired sunburn that screams stupid tourist.

A statue of coke crates to honour the South African athletes who took medals in the Olympics

In order to fully appreciate my arrival, I must backtrack and talk about my departure. Turns out my flight left 24 earlier than I thought so that was a bit stressful but with the help of my amazing and beautiful room mates I got packed, cleared out my room and headed to the big city (and still had time for pancakes at 1:00 AM), then the passport people said I needed my yellow fever vaccination or I wouldn’t be let into the country. I couldn’t do anything at that point so I took a flight of faith and experienced a stress and anxiety I hope never to feel again. My fears were for naught – I’ve never had a more easy time with immigrations and apart from my bag getting on the wrong  flight my arrival went like clockwork.  I got in around 11:30 PM and headed to the bar with the other interns for a beer and pool.

birds eye view of the city

There is about 50 interns here in Cape Town and I live with about 10 of them. They come from all over the globe including Italy, Germany, Switzerland, South Africa, and Singapore.  I start my internship tomorrow and couldn’t be more excited. In conclusion, I think South Africa is a melting pot and a layered cake of cultures that blend with each other at times and then stand in stark contrast with each other at others.  My hope is to absorb all that Cape Town has to offer- especially the wine. Jane Austin, Napoleon, Obama, and Charles Dickinson sought after South African wine so I think I’ll be in good company.

Heather

2 thoughts on “Lost for words…

1. Thanks for reassuring me that you were using caution:) And your observation shared with your new friend that “people probably just have a general distrust in humanity” may well be accurate. Then once you add decades of prejudice, fear of others based on race, etc. to that, then it’s difficult to sort out racially based distrust from general human distrust. You’re in an amazing and challenging environment–a land of contradictions–geographic and architectural beauty side by side with poverty and the painful history of apartheid. Stay safe as you travel, observe, and learn. Michele

2. I had a similar feeling about writing when I first got to England. I had thought for years probably that if I could just get to England I would be instantly inspired, that I would start writing tons of fantastic, imaginative, wildly creative fiction about the English countryside or other Englishy things. It was disappointing at first to not to write anything as a direct result of being in England. I ended up writing some interesting stories after all because I was enrolled in writing classes and had access to peers who could give me feedback. I found I was also able to easily write stories that took place in England, with English characters, because I had become so familiar with the way they talk. It was a really awesome feeling to write a story about Irish characters and have the English students in my class pick up on that (without me directly saying that the characters were Irish).