Rediscovering Socialisation

I haven’t done anything dreadfully exciting recently, or at least I haven’t done anything that seems as exciting as it might have been the first couple weeks I was here. I’ve settled in and this is starting to feel normal. It baffles me that being in England no longer baffles me. I did take a trip to Scotland last week, which was nice. I don’t think I enjoyed myself as much as I did in Ireland, for whatever reason. I felt like I didn’t stay long enough, or that I didn’t have enough exciting experiences there, or maybe I just got used to traveling. Yeah, I’m a world traveler. Scotland. *sniff* Whatever. I will say, though, there are a surprisingly large number of Australians in Scotland, and no one has been able to give me a definite reason besides, ‘They both hate the English.’

Picture with Nessie next to Loch Ness

This weekend has been wonderful, though. I spent most of last week sitting in my room watching TV. All of my classes were canceled for Reading Week, or'”Catch-Up Week’ but I didn’t really do much catching up. I’m not friends with many people in my building, KF; rather, most of my friends here are two buildings down, in ER. I caught wind of a Disney movie marathon happening on Friday, for all the other people who had nothing to do, and I ended up in the ER common room watching Disney movies all day. It was great, because there were a bunch of other people doing the same thing.

Saturday night I decided to be productive and go to the library to work on a 1500-word paper due on Monday. I got some good work done and afterward ran into a couple girls on their way to ER to play a game. I went along and we ended up playing cards and movie trivia for the rest of the night. And of course, tonight, I came back to the ER common room to finish my paper, and I’ve got a couple people convinced that I actually live here.

Trip to Lake Windermere

Basically, I’ve been missing out on socialization for a couple weeks. I never thought I wouldn’t enjoy having my own room, but after a couple weeks in a single room in a different country, I got a bit lonely. And I just found an environment where I can get work done and also talk to people. It’s great. And it probably all sounds really cheesy, but I feel like I’m getting to a comfortable spot in my social life. It’s kind of awkward because I don’t actually live here but I know people here. So I think it’s okay.

I still have classes, by the way. I haven’t had much homework for the last six weeks, but I think this next week at least is going to feel like school. Lots of assessments coming up.

I probably won’t do a lot more traveling, at least outside of England. I’ve still got a bit of England to see, including London (but I’m not the only one who hasn’t been yet so that should work out) and Blackpool, where I’ve heard tell there is a Doctor Who museum. I also haven’t actually been out of the UK yet, I realized, but I’m  not sure where outside of the UK I’d like to go. Honestly, I wouldn’t be too upset if I didn’t make it out. But if I got the chance Rome would be cool. Maybe Greece. Maybe Spain. But again, my priorities were Ireland and Scotland. If you think I may be forgetting a place, let me know.

One thought on “Rediscovering Socialisation

1. Feeling settled, enjoying your room and movies, and stepping back from socialization for a few weeks sounds delightful. There’s something satisfying about living in another country and arriving at a place of comfort in your daily life that you don’t have to try to see everything or do everything. I’m glad your travels have centered on the U.K. Sometimes students studying in Europe run around frantically trying to see every major European city and don’t get to know much about the country where they’re living. Michele