La Basilica

The Basilica of “La Negrita”

This is my last weekend here in Costa Rica and I decided to take advantage of the last Saturday with a group of girlfriends. We went to visit Cartago in the morning. Cartago has a famous basilica that is the home to La Virgen de Los Angeles (Virgin of the Angels) or “La Negrita” (Little Black Girl), Costa Rica’s version of La Virgen de Guadalupe from Mexico. The Basilica was built around a little black statue of the Virgin Mary holding baby Jesus where she was said to be found by a young mulatta (A person of African and European descent) centuries ago.

The Basilica was the most fantastic church I’d ever seen with many ornate details. Depictions of Saints, the crucifixion, and the Virgin were in every stained glass window.  There were several altars to pray at where elegantly dressed statues of Jesus and the Virgin Mary looked down on the faithful.  People crawled from the front entrance of the church to the altar at the back to pray.

On the lower level of the church in the basement is where the statue of La Negrita is. It is very short stout statue, black and round, and placed on a rock. Also in the basement were dozens of metal charms and objects sent to the church. These charms, amulets, and objects represent things that people wish to be improved in their lives but could not make it to the Basilica in person to be blessed. There are hundreds of small charms of body parts, and small objects in the form of houses, cars, and airplanes. Personal items include work hats, medals, toys, and jewelry.

Even further down below the church is a stream where people can touch and collect the holy water. The holy water is said to be able to cure ailments. I put some on my forehead and stomach, and Megan collected a bottle of it so we could share it with our family and friends back home.

Overall, it was one of the most enlightening and culturally relevant experiences I have had in Costa Rica. I felt very appreciative to see and experience one of the most important places in Costa Rica and Central America.[slideshow]

Kelsey

One thought on “La Basilica