Through his work as a Digital Production & Publishing Specialist, Scott helps students, faculty, and staff improve teaching and promote student learning through the use of technology. In addition to overseeing the Digital Media Center within the Hamersly Library, Scott provides training and expertise on a variety of topics, including Web page creation, digital video production, print-on-demand and ebook publishing, and many software applications related to publishing, distribution, and education in all its forms. He was the principal support person support person of WOU’s various LMS tools for over ten years (WebCT, Moodle), overseeing a 1000% growth in the number of courses using online course shells. Chiefly due to this growth, a new Moodle Support Team was formed in the summer of 2013, and Scott is now one of numerous people offering support for all of WOU’s many online courses.
In his other life, he is also an award-winning fiction writer. His debut novel, The Last Great Getaway of the Water Balloon Boys was hailed by Publishers Weekly as a “touching and impressive debut” and won the prestigious Oregon Book Award. Since then, he has published many books, including the popular Garrison Gage mystery series. In recent years, he’s also taken advantage of the revolutionary changes in the publishing industry to go straight to readers — with Print-On-Demand, ebooks, etc. — and he’s been delighted to help the WOU faculty learn how to take advantage of these same technologies. He also teaches occasional classes on writing and publishing for both the English department and the College of Education.
Over the years, Scott has provided service to the university in a number of capacities, including as Administrative Support Council president (2009-2010), and as a member of various committees and interdepartmental groups: the PT3 grant, (Preparing Tomorrow Teachers to Use Technology), the Online Support Team, and the Online Education Advisory Committee, to name three key ones. He received his Bachelor of Arts with Honors in English from the University of Oregon, and graduated summa cum laude with a Master of Arts in Library and Information Science from San Jose State University.
In past lives, he has been a bookstore owner, the manager of a computer training company, and a ski instructor, though the most important job — and best — he’s ever had is being the father of his two children.
Some of what Scott does includes the following:
- Manages the Digital Media Center and its staff within Hamersly Library
- One-on-one tutoring on a variety of technology-related topics — Web design and graphic design, Microsoft programs, iMovie, etc.
- In-class demonstrations to students on PowerPoint, WordPress, or other topics
- Brainstorming and collaboration in the production of multimedia solutions — video, audio, print, etc.
- Moodle support in the areas of digital video and audio
- Individual (non-departmental) website support and instruction (WordPress, Dreamweaver, etc.)
- Consultation and support of independent publishing (ebook, Print-on-Demand, video, audio etc.)
- Video and audio format conversion and processing of academic material
Office: Hamersly Library | Digital Media Center (HL 220)
Western Oregon University
345 N. Monmouth Ave.
Monmouth, OR 97361