Grad Profile: Kaylyn Taylor

This is part of our WOU graduate profile series where we’re featuring students who have been making incredible contributions to the WOU community

In this feature, we’re celebrating the amazing accomplishments of Kaylyn Taylor, a psychology major with a minor in Spanish. Kaylyn’s been involved in a lot of different programs during her time at Western and we asked her about her experiences here.

What are you getting a degree(s) in?
Psychology

Did you minor in anything?
Spanish

What’s your hometown?
Portland, OR

Why did you choose WOU?
I chose WOU because I felt that it was the perfect size. It is small enough to where I don’t feel like just a number, but it is big enough to where I can meet new people everyday. More importantly however, I chose WOU because I was looking for a college that admires and promotes diversity and WOU exceeds at accomplishing exactly that.

What do you love most about WOU?
I love that WOU has cultivated an academic environment that is incredibly supportive of its students. WOU provides an abundance of resources to aid first generation, low-income, and/or students with documented disabilities to succeed in higher ed. Not only is WOU supportive of its students, it is an extremely diverse campus and welcomes individuals from all backgrounds. WOU had easily become a place I call home.

What has been your biggest achievement, success or accomplishment in college?
I think that my biggest achievement in college was being able to work 4 jobs working an average of 50+ hours a week while also maintaining a high GPA and participating in other extracurricular activities as well.

Has there been a class or professor that has been particularly inspiring to you?
My favorite classes were my Spanish classes, although they were always my most difficult. They were my favorites because I was able to continue to improve and gain confidence in my Spanish speaking abilities, which have carried me through the service trips I have gone on and my everyday interactions at work.

Your nominator told us about your involvement in the Alternative Break Program, what was your favorite aspect of this program?
My favorite aspect of this program was that it gave me the opportunity to do what I love best, and that is working hands on with underserved populations and with this, I have created so many connections with those who I have served internationally and the connections and memories I have made will carry me through the rest of my life.

Were you involved in any other extracurricular activities?
I was involved with MSSP as a Multicultural Representative serving as a mentor to first generation, low income, first year students. I was also a Summer Bridge peer advisor for a year where I helped develop a week long program designed to prepare first year students of low income, first generation backgrounds for their college career.

What was your favorite campus event or activity?
My favorite campus event is Nuestra Fiesta Latina and really any cultural events that WOU holds.

What will you miss most about college?
I will definitely miss all of the people I have had the privilege of working with and getting to know as well as the connection I have had with the campus altogether.

Do you have plans after graduation?
Yes, I plan to attend graduate school at the University of New Haven in Connecticut.

What was the hardest class assignment you had?
Probably my assignment for PSY467/468 where I had to conduct my own research and statistical analyses and write a 40-page research paper.

Where is your favorite spot in town to grab a bite to eat?
Momijis

Do you have a favorite study spot on campus?
The WUC

What advice do you have to current and future WOU students?
For current students, my advice is to challenge yourself and go on service trips if given the opportunity, it will really change your perspective on things and will create some of your favorite memories.

Thank you Kaylyn for answering our questions and for being such a good sport. We’re so excited to see you graduate (though sad to see you go) and good luck with your future at the University of New Haven! 

Meta