Grad Profile: Laura Miranda

This is part of our WOU graduate profile series where we’re featuring students who have been making incredible contributions to the WOU community

Today we’re featuring Laura Miranda, a social science major who made her mark with numerous organizations on campus, including Upward Bound and the Multicultural Student Union. We asked Laura about her time here at WOU and all about the importance of penciling time in for ice cream.

What are you getting a degree(s) in?
I am getting my B.A. in Social Science with a focus in Sociology.

Did you minor in anything?
Psychology and Spanish.

What’s your hometown?
Salem, Oregon.

Why did you choose WOU?
I chose Western because I really liked the fact that its class sizes were small and when I came to visit the university, it just felt right walking through campus. It’s also close to home so I can drive to my parents’ house whenever I want some of my mom’s food.

What do you love most about WOU?
The people. I’ve met some amazing people while at Western and they continue to inspire me to be a better version of myself.

via: WOU Squirrels

What do you know now that you wish you had when you started at WOU?
I wish I would’ve known that there were so many squirrels roaming around!

What has been your biggest achievement, success or accomplishment in college?
My biggest achievement in college would have to be receiving the Klush Tum Tum Award at Leadership Recognition Night.

What was your biggest challenge in school/at WOU?
My biggest challenge in school was making enough time for everything. Being involved, having time to do homework, hanging out with my friends and still being able to go home and visit my family was definitely a balancing act throughout my time at Western.

What change do you hope to inspire in the world?
In order to really change the world, we all must work together. So that’s something that I wish to inspire; connectedness (it’s a word, I looked it up). [Editor’s note: She’s right].

Has there been a class or professor that has been particularly inspiring to you?
My history professor: Kimberly Jensen. I only had two classes with her but she has got to be one of the sweetest and most understanding professors I’ve had at Western. Whenever I see her walking around campus, she makes sure to stop me and check in on how I’m doing. I just really appreciate that because sometime we get so caught up, that we forget to ask people how their day has been.

Were you involved in any extracurricular activities?
Yes. I was involved with the Executive Board with the Multicultural Student Union, a mentor for the Multicultural Representatives, tutor and summer RA for Upward Bound, held various executive board positions with Kappa Delta Chi Sorority, participated and lead teams with the Alternative Break Program. I was a student assistant for the Latino Advisory Board, and was a frequent volunteer for the Cesar E. Chavez Leadership Conference.

What was your favorite campus event or activity?
My favorite events on campus is Nuestra Fiesta Latina and WOU Mania.

What will you miss most about college?
The thing that I will miss most about college are the friends that I will be leaving behind, as well as Kathryn Plummer, who is my supervisor but also one of my mentors.

Do you have plans after graduation?
After graduation I plan to take a small break before going into the working world. I’ll be going to New Orleans in July, very excited for that.

What was the hardest class assignment you had?
I don’t think I had a hard assignment, I just procrastinated a lot so it made everything difficult.

Where is your favorite spot in town to grab a bite?
Los Primos in Independence; they have the best tacos!

Do you have a favorite study spot on campus?
When I study on campus, I like to study on the red couches down on the first floor of the WUC.

What advice do you have to current and future WOU students?
Make the most of your time here. Before you know it, graduation is around the corner and you’ll be wondering where the years went. So make sure that you are making memories along the way and don’t sweat the little stuff. Make time to also take care of yourself. We’re so consumed by everyone around us and what they need that we don’t stop and think about what we need. If you need to schedule in time to get yourself some ice cream, then schedule in time to get some ice cream.

Thanks again to Laura for being a good sport! We’re excited to see what she does after graduation (but sorry to see her go!). Keep an eye out for more graduate profiles- there’s more to come and no shortage of amazing students here at WOU.

Meta

About the Author

Byron Kimball

Communication Studies major here at WOU. Newsflash team member and Flow Manager. Occasionally interesting.