Grad profile: Tuyen Bolton

Name:  Tuyen Bolton
Age: 22
Major/Minor:  Interdisciplinary studies with focuses in humanities, social science and health/physical education
Hometown: Raised in Eugene / born in Soc Trang, Vietnam
Advice to incoming freshman: “Remember that it’s important to maintain a solid GPA throughout college to graduate and get into graduate school and beyond, but they are not the determining factor in your intelligence.  Work hard, always do your best and if you fail, that means you are trying.”

As is the case with many students, Bolton was drawn to WOU for the beautiful campus and small class sizes. Coming from a small private high school, she was accustomed to having strong relationships with her teachers who cared about student success.

“I sensed the same atmosphere at WOU,” she said.

Western’s small campus also made getting involved very accessible.

“My most rewarding experiences were being on PLUS Team and Ambassadors.  Being on leadership taught me interpersonal skills that I can apply throughout life in addition to increasing my knowledge of the school I was attending.”

She also served on the LAS Dean Monahan’s Student Advisory council for two years, a position she earned by faculty nomination.

“That was an educational and fun opportunity for me because I was able to work closely alongside the dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences as well as fellow students in all areas of study. Our job as the advisory council was to speak about our experiences at Western academically and socially. We learned about the preparation required to make Western what it is academically and understand how the LACC’s requirements are created.”

When it came to her own academics, Bolton wanted to expand her knowledge in multiple areas of study. She will be graduating with a interdisciplinary degree,with focuses in humanities, social science and health/physical education.

“I chose the focuses I did because the classes that fell under those categories intrigued me.”

Across these departments, the faculty at made lasting impressions on her and inspired her both personally and professionally.

“I have two faculty that I will never forget: Jamie Tatum and Amy Hammermeister-Jordan. Both were absolutely incredible professors and mentors to me because not only were they there to educate me on the course material, but they ensured that they would be there to support, guide and encourage me to pursue my passions in life.  Their doors were always open to talk about school matters or life and I hadn’t had many professors go that far above and beyond the call of duty.”

Since officially graduating in March, Bolton has been working in Eugene. She is looking forward to celebrating with fellow graduates at Commencement.

“The biggest celebration of all was completing college early!”

Meta