Grad profile: Stephanie Stuckey

Stephanie Stuckey
Stephanie Stuckey is a dedicated, hardworking student who has worked very hard to get where she is today. She exceeds the expectations of others despite the circumstances she has overcome. She took the time out of her busy schedule to answer a few questions for us while she was in Florida for the NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships.
Where are you from? 
“I am from the greater Seattle area. I moved around a few times but I graduated from Woodrow Wilson High School in Tacoma, Wash.”
Why did you pick WOU? 
“I came across Western because I was looking for a 4-year DII school that had ASL/English Interpreting for a major. I chose WOU because I got recruited for athletics on a small scholarship and it had everything else that I wanted.”
What are you getting your degree in? 
“I will be receiving my Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies with focuses in Humanities and Special Education.”
What did you enjoy most about your time at WOU? 
“I have truly enjoyed the community here at WOU and the opportunities I have had to grow as an individual.”
What were you involved in while here? 
“Since at WOU, I’ve been involved in a lot! I have ran Cross Country, Indoor Track, and Outdoor Track for WOU all four years and was initiated into Chi Alpha Sigma which is a National College Athlete Honor Society for varsity athletes with a 3.4 GPA or higher. I went to Nationals for the Indoor mile last year and got 9th and I am currently in Florida for Outdoor Nationals and I’ll be racing in the 1500m. I have also been involved in a college ministry just off campus for WOU students and sang on the worship team. My first two years I was in ASL Club before I changed my major. I have been published in our Literary Magazine, the North West Passage, and read some of my writings at the Academic Excellence Showcase last year. My last three years I have also been working part time. First at Waremart and for the last year or so, at the HWC.”
What are you doing after graduation?
“After graduation I start my year of serving Seattle in August under the AmeriCorps program called CityYear. CityYear members are placed in inner city schools to help bridge the gap between what students need and what teachers provide.”
What do you know now that you wish you knew as a freshman?
“I wish I knew about the access to proper assistance when it came to financial aid and I wish I knew the importance of taking care of your mental health. College is hard. If it were easy, everybody would do it. Getting into college in the first place is something to be proud of.”
What was your favorite event to go to on campus?
“My favorite event has to be our college group! Technically it’s not on campus but it’s pretty darn close. It’s the main reason why I love Wednesdays so much (it’s every Wednesday, 7pm, at Praise Assembly Church). The community is awesome and I have never been loved more than by my family I’ve gained there!”

Meta