Tutors must be motivated individuals who model positive and appropriate behavior to Upward Bound participants as ambassadors of WOU and representations of our students’ future. They must utilize their knowledge and experience with campus life to effectively exhibit and relay how to lead healthy academic and personal lives during college.
- Maintain at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA and be in good academic and judicial standing
- College sophomore standing, but qualified freshman applicants will be considered.
- Ability to demonstrate competency and effectively tutor students in subject area(s), and motivate students to attend college
- Ability to work with diverse populations, including being sensitive to the diverse needs, learning styles, and abilities of UB students
- Must pass background check
- Major/Minor in applicable subject area(s)
- Training or work experience with high school youth, particularly from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Initiative, punctuality, dependability, discipline, and self confidence
- A positive attitude and willingness to give back to the community
- If seeking paid position, work-study eligible
- Commitment to participate for full academic year (September 2017 to June 2018)
- Personal experiences in overcoming barriers similar to those faced by program participants (low-income and/or first-generation background)
Applications are available here!
Please return applications to the Upward Bound office, located at APSC, 501