Teaching Reading Under the Common Core State Standards
Common Core State Standards - Resources (Oregon)
- K-12 CCSS Standards in Grade Level Bands
This 66-page document combines and summarizes the College and Career Ready (CCR) anchor standards for reading, writing, speaking & listening, and language and shows their alignment by grade level with the CCSS standards for informational text, literature, and literacy across content areas/technical subjects.
- Oregon CCSS Fact Sheet (pdf)
Brief overview of the Common Core State Standards in Oregon, developed by ODE.
- ODE's Common Core Home Page
ODE has a very thorough and extensive set of resources aimed at teachers, administrators, parents, students, school boards, and higher education, as well as FAQs, videos, webinars, assessment information, and more.
- Understanding CCSS Content and Organization
- Comparing CCSS to Oregon Standards, district curricula and instructional materials
- Implementing CCSS in the Classroom
- ODE Common Core State Standards Toolkit
This ODE website has PowerPoint introductions to the common core standards for parents (in both English and Spanish), administrators, and teachers. The box in the upper right-hand corner links to various sections of the toolkit, including videos of teachers implementing CCSS in their classrooms.
- Oregon-Developed CCSS Resources
- Oregon Transition Timeline (pdf; developed by Lane ESD)
One-page chart showing relationship of Oregon Diploma requirements, Oregon Essential Skills, Common Core State Standards, and the Smarter-Balanced Assessment.
Common Core State Standards - Resources (National)
- College and Career Readiness (CCR) Anchor Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy
- Common Core State Standards Initiative
Homepage for the English Language Arts Standards. Includes links to college and career-ready anchor standards. Provides text of reading (literature, informational text, foundational skills), writing, speaking & listening, and language for each grade level. Also links to appendices that include research supporting the key elements of the standards [a good review of literacy instruction/assessment - as a reading specialist you should know this], text exemplars and sample performance tasks, and samples of student writing (with assessment annotations).
- Common Core Text Exemplars
This chart of text exemplars is broken down by grade level, and within the grade level, exemplars are listed under literature (including poetry) and informational text. The exemplar texts have links to websites that provide the text (plus audio and visual, in some cases). Exemplar texts are also included in Appendix B: Text Exemplars and Sample Performance Tasks on the CCSS homepage.
- Educational Policy Improvement Center (EPIC)
Has "college and career ready" resources, including its studies: Lining Up: The Relationship between the Common Core State Standards and Five Sets of Comparison Standards and Creating College Readiness: Profiles of 38 Schools That Know How
- ELA Common Core State Standards
Resource list from the International Reading Association of articles, webinars, and blog posts on English language arts and literacy CCSS.
- Literacy Implementation Guidance for the ELA Common Core State Standards
This statement from the International Reading Association offers brief, detailed guidance on seven challenging issues to those implementing the CCSSs.
- Parent Guides to Student Success
Grade-level guides for parents in either English or Spanish summarizing what their children will learn in English language arts/literacy and mathematics by the end of the school year (developed by the PTA, based on CCSS). Activities parents can do at home to help.
- Understanding Language: Language, Literacy, and Learning in the Content Areas
This new Stanford Graduate School of Education website will provide papers (with videos) and teaching resources focused on helping all students (and especially ELLs) meet the Common Core State Standards and Next Generation Science Standards.
Videos & Webinars
- Book & Media Awards
Website by Association for Library Service to Children links to various awards for children's and young adult literature.
- Choices Reading Lists
Three book lists from IRA: Children's Choices, Teachers' Choices, and Young Adults' Choices.
- Coretta Scott King Awards
These awards are presented annually by the American Library Association to honor African-American authors and illustrators who create outstanding books for children and young adults.
- Selected Author/Illustrator Websites
- Skipping Stones Honor Awards
Annual lists of multicultural and environmental book awards sponsored by the international multicultural magazine, Skipping Stones.
Related Literacy Topics
Summative Assessment of College and Career Ready Skills
Other Oregon Literacy Resources
(NOTE: Some current Oregon standards will be replaced by CCSS and CCR.)
- Calkins, L., Ehrenworth, M., & Lehman, C. (2012). Pathways to the common core: Accelerating achievement. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann. ISBN: 978-0325043555.
- Fisher, D., Frey, N., and Alfaro, C. (2013). The path to get there: A common core road map for higher student achievement across the disciplines. New York, NY: Teachers College Press. ISBN: 978-0807754344.
- McLaughlin, M. & Overturf, B.J. (2013). The common core: Teaching K-5 students to meet the reading standards. Newark, DE: International Reading Association. ISBN: 978-0872078154.