WOU ASCD Student Chapter
ASCD Student Chapter
Who We Are
Founded in 1943, ASCD (formerly the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development) is the global leader in developing and delivering innovative programs, products, and services that empower educators to support the success of each learner. Comprising 140,000 members—superintendents, principals, teachers, professors, and advocates from more than 138 countries—the ASCD community also includes 56 affiliate organizations. The nonprofit’s diverse, nonpartisan membership is its greatest strength, projecting a powerful, unified voice to decision makers around the world.
The association provides expert and innovative solutions in professional development, capacity building, and educational leadership essential to the way educators learn, teach, and lead. (Above text taken from www.ascd.org/about)
Events for 2016
|Feb. 12: 12th Annual Future Teachers Conference: 8:30 am to 3 pm in the Werner University Center. Low cost to WOU students with lunch included. Great opportunity to gain insight and an edge in the teaching field. Sponsor: ASCD Student Chapter and Oregon ASCD.
March 5th: Silent Auction and Dinner at the Oregon Garden 5pm to 10 pm. Cost is $35 /Student, $44 Non-student.
About ASCD Student Chapters
The ASCD Student Chapter program is designed to accelerate preservice educators and student teachers’ professional development and their self-identification as education professionals and leaders. ASCD is committed to improving teacher education and teacher quality. By meaningfully engaging student teachers with ASCD resources and involving them with members of the ASCD community, future educators and leaders gain an edge that energizes and raises their professional performance level.
Together with their class work, membership in an ASCD student chapter helps preservice educators and student teachers begin to learn how and where they might fit into their chosen profession. Membership establishes the link between the classroom and their first jobs as they transition into a career in education.
Student chapters will receive opportunities to experience the ASCD Leader to Leader Conference, ASCD Annual Conference, and regional events hosted by ASCD affiliates to meet education professionals, participate in professional development programs, and develop contacts for internships and future career opportunities. Chapters may form on the campuses of community colleges, colleges, and universities with accredited education programs. (Above text taken from ASCD About Student Chapters)
Benefits of joining ASCD now
Access to resources:
- Receive the monthly magazine Educational Leadership, which provides practical advice and discusses current issues important to you as a future educator
- Purchase books at a discount and get a newsletter discussing some of the most current and relevant issues affecting education today.
- Access the ASCD Web site.
- With your membership number and password, you can access full contents of every issue of Educational Leadership ever published and search the archives by subject for research articles on your particular topic.
- In a time when you need to stand above the rest, being an ASCD member and staying informed about current educational issues gives you a professional edge. Add it to your resume.
- Meet, collaborate with, and get to know other educational professionals already in the field as well as discuss current issues that will affect your daily practice as a teacher.
How to join the WOU chapter
Full time students at WOU are eligible for a special price of $25 a year to receive full membership benefits. (Regular annual membership is $49.) Visit the ASCD Membership Enrollment Page and fill out the required information. Please indicate Western Oregon University as your institution and use Priority Renewal Code V78 to receive the discounted student price and pay with a credit card. If you prefer to send a check, download and print the form, fill it out, and send it to Constituent Services at the address listed on the bottom of the form.
Connect with the WOU ASCD Student Chapter
- NEXT MEETING DATE! Tuesday, January 19th, 6:30 pm in ED 116.
- We have all member meetings once a month. Due to the variability of class schedules our meeting days and times tend to change each term. To find out when they will be, opt into all student emails, connect with us on Facebook, or send us an email.
- Send us an email, we would love to hear from you!
- Find us on Facebook: WOU Education Club (ASCD)
- Chat with us on Twitter: WOregonASCD
- Get to know our officers:
2015 – 2016 WOU ASCD Student Chapter Officers
|Co- President||Emilee Bottoms|
We welcome questions: firstname.lastname@example.org .