Home » ESOL Endorsement Program
ESOL Endorsement Program
The Division of Education and Leadership’s ESOL endorsement program leads to an add-on endorsement to an Oregon teaching license and can be completed in three ways: by itself, or in conjunction with an undergraduate program or graduate program.
- All WOU students have access to free study sessions for the Basic Skills Test, Multiple Subjects Content test (for Early Childhood Education and Elementary/Middle School Teachers only), and the ESOL Test.
- Each bilingual fellow is eligible for up to $400 in reimbursements for teacher preparation tests. Reimbursement requests may be submitted to Darla Campbell in Education between October 1st and April 1st of each year.
- Annual Bilingual Fellows Event where you’ll meet bilingual teachers and administrators, learn about the university, community and educational organizations that support bilingual education, and enjoy authentic Mexican food.
- At Commencement, graduates receive a special stole for the distinction of being a Bilingual Fellow.
Bilingual Teacher Initiative
The Bilingual Teacher Initiative recruits, retains and recognizes bilingual students in teacher preparation programs at WOU. Local schools are constantly seeking teachers who speak Spanish in order to:
- Use Spanish as a bridge to English and academic success
- Foster parental involvement and communication
- Work with newcomers
- Deliver content in two language for dual language classrooms.
Bilingual Teacher Scholars
Since it has been challenging to prepare bilingual teacher candidates, WOU has looked for options to recruit them. We have partnered with three school districts (Salem-Keizer S.D., Woodburn S.D. and Hillsboro S.D.) that have a diverse student population. Thus, during the fall term of 2015, we welcomed 40 Bilingual Teacher Scholars to our university. This cohort is positioned to make an impact at university and state level (see an article about the Bilingual Teacher Scholars).
|ESOL Only Program Advisors|
|Students with surname A-F||Students with surname G-M||Students with surname N-T||Students with surnames U-Z|
|Dr. Joshua Schulze
|Dr. Carmen Caceda
|Ms. Jessica Dougherty
|Dr. Maria Dantas-Whitney
|All ESOL Bilingual & Bilingual Teacher Scholars Students
|Dr. Carmen Caceda