Education and Leadership
The Bilingual Teacher Scholars Program
Supportive Partnerships for Excellence in Teaching
The Bilingual Teacher Scholars Program is committed to the diversification of the educator workforce through an innovative and collaborative “grow your own” program in collaboration with major school districts and community colleges across Oregon. The BTS program includes:
- Seeking outstanding bilingual/bicultural high school and community college students interested in education careers
- Braiding district and university funds to support all students
- Providing extensive scholarship and remission opportunities to all qualifying students
- Building an annual cohort program of 50-60 students from across the state
- Facilitating monthly professional development activities for future educators
- Focusing on academic success and dual language development
- Delivering academic coursework in both Spanish and English
- Providing the highest quality advising and mentorship
- Supporting test prep and tutoring to assure ability to pass required educator tests
- Offering summer/school year employment in home district or other agencies
- Assuring student teaching placements in home district (when possible)
- “First to interview” status
- Changing the world through excellence in education!
The BTS Program provides a scholarship of $3000 per year, renewable annually. Program participants receive academic support, individualized advising, and professional development opportunities.
STEP 1: January 15th, 2019 – Apply to Western Oregon University using the link below
STEP 2: February 15th, 2019 – Submit the following to the Program Coordinator (see contact information below):
___ Submit the Bilingual Teacher Scholars Program Application
___ Letter of interest describing (a) your interest in becoming a teacher; (b) the role teachers can play in helping change the lives of children, and; (c) your proficiency and experience as a speaker of Spanish.
___ A copy of your unofficial transcripts.
STEP 3: March 15th, 2019 – Submit the following to the Program Coordinator:
Submit all of the documents listed above by email or postal mail to:
Dr. Maria Dantas-Whitney, BTSP Coordinator
Western Oregon University, RWEC 222
345 N. Monmouth Ave., Monmouth, OR 97361
email@example.com / (503) 838-8636
Please contact Dr. Dantas-Whitney if you have any questions.