Education and Leadership
The Bilingual Teacher Scholars Program
Supportive Partnerships for Excellence in Teaching
The Bilingual Teacher Scholars Program is committed to the diversification of the educator workforce through an innovative and collaborative “grow your own” program in collaboration with major school districts and community colleges across Oregon. The BTS program includes:
- Seeking outstanding bilingual/bicultural high school and community college students interested in education careers
- Braiding district and university funds to support all students
- Providing extensive scholarship and remission opportunities to all qualifying students
- Building an annual cohort program of 50-60 students from across the state
- Facilitating monthly professional development activities for future educators
- Focusing on academic success and dual language development
- Delivering academic coursework in both Spanish and English
- Providing the highest quality advising and mentorship
- Supporting test prep and tutoring to assure ability to pass required educator tests
- Offering summer/school year employment in home district or other agencies
- Assuring student teaching placements in home district (when possible)
- “First to interview” status
- Changing the world through excellence in education!
The BTS Program provides a combination of generous scholarship and tuition assistance, renewable annually. Recipients must maintain a strong GPA and progress toward graduation to remain eligible for participation.
STEP 1: January 15th, 2018 – Apply to Western Oregon University using the link below
STEP 2: February 15th, 2018 – Submit the following to the Program Coordinator (see contact information below):
___ Application (click on document links under the videos above)
___ Letter of support from one high school teacher or college instructor
___ Letter of interest describing (a) your interest in becoming a teacher; (b) the role teachers can play in helping change the lives of children, and; (c) your proficiency and experience as a speaker of Spanish.
___ Write at least one paragraph of your letter of interest in Spanish.
STEP 3: March 15th, 2018 – Submit the following to the Program Coordinator:
___ Submit your unofficial transcripts to the Program Coordinator, Carmen Caceda (see below)
___ Applicants will be asked to submit online Spanish and Math Placement Test scores. You will receive further information about these once your application has been received.
Submit all of the documents listed above by email or postal mail to:
Dr. Carmen Caceda, BTSP Coordinator
Western Oregon University
345 N. Monmouth Ave., Monmouth, OR 97361
firstname.lastname@example.org / (503) 838-8409
Still have questions?
Please contact the Bilingual Teacher Scholars Program Coordinator:
Dr. Carmen Cáceda
email@example.com / (503) 838-8409 / RWEC Rm. 222