Examples of Sexual Harassment
Sexual harassment is a form of discriminatory harassment. Sexual harassment is defined as unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical behavior of a sexual nature when directed toward an individual because of that individual’s sex when:
- Submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of the individual’s employment, grade, or used as the basis for any employment or academic decision; or
- Such conduct is unwelcome and has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual’s work or academic performance or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work or academic environment.
Examples of Sexual Harassment:
- A professor insists that a student have sex with him/her in exchange for a good grade.
- A student repeatedly sends sexually oriented jokes around on an email list she/he created, even when asked to stop, causing one recipient to avoid the sender on campus and in the residence hall in which they both live.
- Explicit sexual pictures are displayed in a professor’s office, on the exterior of a residence hall door or on a computer monitor in a public space.
- Two supervisors frequently ‘rate’ several employees’ bodies and sex appeal, commenting suggestively about their clothing and appearance.
- A professor engages students in discussions in class about their past sexual experiences, yet the conversation is not in any way germane to the subject matter of the class. She probes for explicit details, and demands that students answer her, though they are clearly uncomfortable and hesitant.
- An ex-girlfriend widely spreads false stories about her sex life with her former boyfriend to the clear discomfort of the boyfriend, turning him into a social pariah on campus.
- Male students take to calling a particular brunette student “Monica” because of her resemblance to Monica Lewinsky. Soon, everyone adopts this nickname for her, and she is the target of the relentless remarks about cigars, the president, “sexual relations”, and Weight Watchers.
- A student grabbed another student by the hair, then grabbed her breast and put his mouth on it.
- Non-consensual video or audio-taping of sexual activity
- Going beyond the boundaries of consent (such as letting your friends hide in the closet to watch you have consensual sex)
- Engaging in Peeping Tommery