To provide the members with the means to share with the Western Oregon University campus and area communities the politics, economy, culture, religion and history of China represented by the officers and members.
What does the Chinese Club do?
With the Chinese Club (CC), the Chinese students have many opportunities to share Chinese culture with the WOU and Monmouth community. The CC offers domestic students a chance to connect with and meet Chinese students at WOU to learn about Chinese culture and customs. There are many Chinese students at WOU and the CC allows students to get to know each other and create a more friendly and diverse campus. The CC also offers domestic students information about the opportunities to study or travel in China. The CC and domestic students can come together for meetings, learning and teaching Chinese language or culture, or experiencing sports games or games (such as mahjong) with each other.
Annual events Chinese Club hosts
1. The Spring Festival /Chinese New Year Celebration is the biggest event that Chinese Club holds during winter term every year. Other clubs and organizations, all students, faculty and staff are invited to share Chinese culture and enjoy traditional Chinese performances. We offer Chinese food and entertainment. We usually sell tickets, and plan a fundraiser to recover the costs of putting on the performance. Around 200 people buy tickets, with around 300 people in total attendance.
2. As a part of International Education Week, CC hosts the International Potluck. Chinese students reserve the Gentle House, collect and serve all kinds of foods, set up and clean up. We also assist the ISSA office and the International Club (IC) in hosting the World Expo. Chinese students bring displays and crafts for the exhibit.
3. For International Night, the Chinese Club assists International Club in collecting performances and costumes, we assist in serving food, and with set up and clean up.
4. CC arranges at least one local trip every year to different places each year such as Lincoln City, New Port, Portland, Tillamock, etc.
5. CC assists the ISSA and the IC in hosting year end BBQ at the end of spring term each year.
International Students & Scholars Affairs 503-838-8467 | or e-mail: email@example.com