Locker Rooms and Lockers
- Day use and term rental lockers are located in the locker rooms.
- Open faced cubbies are located throughout the facility for temporary use.
- Personal locks are permitted on day use lockers.
- Daily use or personal locks must be removed 10 minutes prior to closing.
- Personal locks left on day use lockers will be cut and removed by Health and Wellness Center staff every night.
- A rented locker must be renewed or returned by the expiration date.
- If the rented locker is not renewed or returned by the expiration date, personal items will be removed.
Equipment can be checked out with your WOU, HWC ID card and finger print.
The HWC has the following items for checkout during your visit:
- Racquetball racquets/protective eye wear/racquetballs
- Badminton racquets/shuttlecocks
- Climbing harness/shoes/belay devices/carabineers
- Weight belts
- Jump ropes
- Agility ladders and wrist straps
- Tennis racquets/tennis balls
- Outdoor basketballs, soccer balls, footballs, frisbees
- Disc golf sets
Racquetball Court Reservations
*Court reservations can be made in person at the HWC Front Desk or by calling 503-838-9530. A Racquetball court can be reserved one at a time, up to 24 hours in advance for one hour on the hour. Participants must claim their reserved court within 15 minutes of the hour reservation. Once the 15 minutes have passed, the reservation is null and void and anyone may use the court.
Damaged or Unreturned Equipment
- Equipment that is lost will be billed to the individual to whom it was checked out.
- Damaged equipment (ie. walls, mirrors, weight or cardio equipment, etc) will be assessed to the individual who caused the damage at current retail prices for repair or replacement.
- All equipment is due back to the HWC Front Desk 10 minutes prior to closing time.
- Any equipment not returned by closing of the building will be billed as lost equipment.
Lounge and Mezzanine Policies
- Water in a clear plastic or metal container with a sealable lid is allowed throughout the facility. Glass containers are not allowed.
- Food, sports drinks and water with color or supplements added are prohibited except on the first floor or mezzanine area.
- Wireless Internet access is available for use.
- The lounge furniture is not to be used for sleeping.
Fitness and Cardio Area Policies
- In an effort to promote safety, reduce the spread of communicable diseases and prevent additional wear and tear on the equipment, all members and guests must adhere to the clothing standards to participate in the HWC.
- To preserve the equipment and improve health conditions, all participants are asked to wipe down equipment after each use.
- Personal towels are highly recommended for use during all workouts on exercise equipment and required for indoor cycling classes.
- Please re-rack all weight plates, dumbbells, and barbells after use.
- Collars are to be utilized with all bars while lifting.
- No dropping or rolling weight plates, dumbbells, or barbells at any time. If you cannot control the weight, enlist the help of a spotter.
- Cardio and selectorized training equipment users must be at least 16 years old.
- Please limit the use of cardio equipment to 30-minute sessions during peak usage time.
- Outside personal trainers are not allowed to provide training in the HWC.
- If a machine fails to operate correctly, do not attempt to repair or operate it. Notify an HWC staff member at the Front Desk about the problem.
- Equipment may not be altered or removed from the facility.
Power Lifting and Chalk Usage
- The Health and Wellness Center was designed to accommodate students with varying interests, ability levels, and fitness backgrounds with a goal of providing opportunities to develop lifelong health and fitness habits. The intent is to provide our students with access to a variety of fitness equipment in a safe, inviting and accessible facility. Certain weight training equipment was not provided in the HWC due to space, supervision, liability, safety, and environmental concerns. The HWC is a recreation facility, not an Athletic or Olympic lifting facility.
- Many power lifts create safety concerns for those completing them, those imitating them and surrounding users as this type of lift is more likely to get out of control. We discourage performing unsupervised, unspotted, uncontrolled, lifts with excessive weight.
- We strongly encourage lifts that can be controlled from start to finish. Dropping the weights is harmful to our facility/equipment, including the lifter and bystanders.
- All bars must remain within the racks or on benches.
- Chains are not allowed, but many of our pieces of stregnth equipment have been designed to accommodate bands. Please ensure the bands being used are designed specifically for the lifts you are attempting.
- Use of chalk is not allowed.
- Chalk creates a large cleanliness issue in the facility and an issue for the mechanics of the equipment including weight stacks, cables and bar grips.
- Chalk, or better defined as talc, can also create respiratory issues for many individuals.
- Encouraged alternatives to weight lifting chalk are weightlifting gloves, weight lifters’ wrist straps, a sheet of inner-tube rubber wrapped around the bar and weight lifting hooks.
Power Rack and Platform Policies
- Policies may be adjusted if any abuse of equipment or perceived endangerment is viewed.
- Weight belt should be used when approaching or exceeding 70% of your personal maximum lifting capability. Weight belts are available at the HWC front desk.
- No decagon shaped weights more than 10lbs are to be used on the platforms. If over 10lbs then all weights must be the Olympic rubber plates.
- Deadlifts, power and hang clean, high pull, good morning, rack pull, bent over row and military press are permitted inside power racks. Lifts not permitted are snatch, clean and jerk or any lifts which involves one end of the barbell in a corner.
- Any approved lift which goes over an individual’s head requires the power rack’s safety catch bars to be in place.
- Due to the injury possibilities presented by these exercises, a limit of 475lbs maximum is placed on the weight bar at one time. Olympic rubber plate weight stacks are designated for the power rack platform located next it. Each weight stack has (2) black 100lb, (4) red 45lb and (2) black 25lb plates.
Dumbbell and Barbell Usage Policies
- The Health and Wellness Center is a dual-purpose building for recreation and academic classrooms. Due to this dual purpose we have developed policies to assist in the learning environment as well as recreation environment. In accordance with mens sana in corpora sano: healthy mind, healthy body we ask that facility users try and respect the community space by being conscious of their noise level.
- Dumbbells and barbells are not to be dropped from any height, slammed down or thrown down. Weights should not bounce off the ground at any time.
- Users should not rest dumbbells or barbells on top of the upholstery padding. Weights should be placed on the ground between sets.
- All dumbbells and barbells must be put back on their designated racks after use. Return all dumbbells and barbaells to correct location on dumbbell or barbell rack after using.
- Please wipe down all bench upholstery after use to help reduce the spread of diseases.
- In order for the basketball structures to sustain a 30-year lifetime expectancy before replacement, the basketball hoop, backboard, and support system will require limited stress placed upon the entire system.
- Dunking is permitted only during the participation in a game. A game is defined as 5 vs 5, 4 vs 4, 3 vs 3, 2 vs 2, 1 vs 1 or 21.
- Dunking while not engaged in a game (as defined above) is prohibited.
- Hanging on the rim (defined as holding the rim down for longer than one second) is prohibited.
- Tape is not allowed on gym floors or walls.
- Do not move any equipment already set up on the courts. Information regarding the daily activities and schedules are posted within the gymnasium.
- Do not prop any outside doors open, door alarms are activated.
- Gyms are intended for basketball, volleyball, and badminton. Other activities are not approved.
- No personal items are allowed on the playing floor. Place items on the open bench or in the locker rooms.
- Wear proper athletic shoes. No street shoes or black marking soles are allowed.
Multi-purpose Room Policies
- For health/sanitation reasons, bare feet are not allowed anywhere except locker rooms, swimming pool, during HWC instructed fitness classes in HWC 201 (The View) or in HWC 202 (The Studio) for kicking the heavy or Thai bag (patrons may use socks or bare feet).
- Non-marking shoes are required in multi=purpose rooms. In HWC 253 (The Loft) an exception is granted for socks or soft dancing shoes (Toesox and TheShu are acceptable) while working out due to no dumbbell, barbell or free weights being allowed.
- Equipment (sharp or otherwise) that may damage the floor, mats, or mirrors is not permitted.
- Use caution to avoid contact with the mirror.
- Patrons may only utilize multi-purpose room equipment if the room is not in use by a scheduled program.
- Rooms may be kept locked, and patrons must ask staff for assistance.
- Rosin powder, wax, or other substances which would alter the floor surface are strictly prohibited.
- Boxing equipment must be used in an appropriate manner for which it was designed.
Racquetball Court Policies
- Personal equipment is permissible but racquets, balls, and protective eye wear are all available for checkout at the HWC Front Desk. Please inspect all equipment during checkout.
- Court reservations can be made in person at the HWC Front Desk or by calling 503-838-9530. A Racquetball court can be reserved one at a time, up to 24 hours in advance for one hour on the hour. Participants must claim their reserved court within 15 minutes of the hour reservation. Once the 15 minutes have passed, the reservation is null and void and anyone may use the court.
- Protective eyewear and wrist straps are recommended for personal safety.
- Non-marking shoes are required.
- If participants choose not to abide by these policies, they will be asked to exit the courts.
Indoor Track Policies
- 15 laps = mile
- Run and/or walk counterclockwise on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday.
- Run and/or walk clockwise on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
- Enter the track with caution.
- Inner lane is reserved for walkers or individuals doing lunges without weights (slow).
- Outer two lanes are reserved for runners (fast).
- Faster runners have the right of way.
- Pass others on the outside.
- Only two people abreast maximum while walking, jogging or running around the track.
- Non-marking, closed toe athletic shoes are recommended in this area; no sandals or bare feet.
- Please respect others; no spitting.
- Patrons may use jump ropes, dumbbells, medicine balls, free weight plates or barbells in the stretching and workout corners of the track.
- Items and activities prohibited on the track:
- Standing, watching first floor activities or blocking lanes in any way.
- Using railings as stretching aids.
- Due to the risk of injury dumbbells, medicine balls, free weight plates or barbells are not allowed while walking/running/doing lunges in the lanes of the track.
- Watching first-floor activity from the track (Exceptions may be made in advance for special internal events).
Personal Training and Instruction
- Due to the lack of oversight, unsafe and unstructured workouts the HWC does not allow personal training.
- Instruction for pay or trade by outside entities is strictly prohibited and could jeopardize membership privileges for all parties involved.
Club Sports and Athletics Usage
- Club Sport or athletic teams are not allowed to schedule a practice, training session and/or organized activity within the Health and Wellness Center without prior approval from the Campus Recreation Administration.
- Club Sport participants and student athletes can utilize the HWC as individual users.
- Club Sport participants and student athletes may not take over an entire area to work out; they must split into groups of no more than three (3) together in one work out area.
return to top